Tide mark on SS boiler

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Jim my

Tide mark on SS boiler

Post by Jim my » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I have just done my 8th brew using a converted stainlesss stock pot for a boiler. I have been giving all my equipment a good scrub after every use but am just starting to notice some very slight staining where the boiling wort contacts the sides of my boiler.
Is this normal or am I not cleaning properly?

Belter

Re: Tide mark on SS boiler

Post by Belter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Normal

Jim my

Post by Jim my » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Belter wrote:Normal
Thanks

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Well it might be normal but you don't have to put up with it. First things first, if you are reducing alkalinity in your brewing liquour it helps to keep beer stone down. A good scrub helps but if you get yourself some HG Stainless Steel Cleaner, you'll keep yourself ahead of the game. This stuff will even clean up any acid splashes from the alkalinity removal. :D It has to be kept at bay otherwise a build up will require more drastic measures.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by borischarlton » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Any form of Sodium Percarbonate will remove it., Just get the solution hot, leave it to soak for a 10 mins or so then wipe it off.

Jim my

Post by Jim my » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:13 pm

orlando wrote:Well it might be normal but you don't have to put up with it. First things first, if you are reducing alkalinity in your brewing liquour it helps to keep beer stone down. A good scrub helps but if you get yourself some HG Stainless Steel Cleaner, you'll keep yourself ahead of the game. This stuff will even clean up any acid splashes from the alkalinity removal. :D It has to be kept at bay otherwise a build up will require more drastic measures.
That's great, thank you. The only water treatment I have been using so far are some Campden tablets but hopefully that will change after Christmas ( I've asked Santa for some CRS, a Salifert Alkalinity test kit and water treatment salts :D )
I will have a look at the HG SS cleaner, I'd like to keep all my equipment as clean as is possible.
borischarlton wrote:Any form of Sodium Percarbonate will remove it., Just get the solution hot, leave it to soak for a 10 mins or so then wipe it off.
Thanks Borischarton, I did use a homebrand Oxi clean but used it cold, I'll try a hot solution.