Unscented bleach of known strength?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Unscented bleach of known strength?

Post by Kev888 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:45 pm

It is frequently suggested that an unscented type of bleach should be chosen for use on plastic, the idea being that plastic can retain aromas. But almost all the bleach I can find in the local shops these days contains perfume, even most of the cheapo unbranded stuff. In some cases it doesn't tell you how strong the bleach is either, so it is guesswork as to how much us needed.

Has anyone found a commonly available type of bleach that is both unscented and of known strength?

Thanks
Kev
Kev

hazelbrew

Re: Unscented bleach of known strength?

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Morrison's savers thin bleach. Unscented and 0.98g/100g available chlorine from sodium hypochlorite... Very cheap too.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks! There is a Morrisons the other side of town from me, so that would be quite handy.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:12 pm

hazelbrew wrote:Morrison's savers thin bleach. Unscented and 0.98g/100g available chlorine from sodium hypochlorite... Very cheap too.
What rate would you use this at for soaking say a fermentor to kill everything?

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:03 pm

Hanglow wrote:
hazelbrew wrote:Morrison's savers thin bleach. Unscented and 0.98g/100g available chlorine from sodium hypochlorite... Very cheap too.
What rate would you use this at for soaking say a fermentor to kill everything?
I have absolutely no idea... ! I just got it as a cheap cleaner, but have not figured out rates yet. I use it neat to swill round the inside of a fv before putting away. I use it dilute to clean bottles.

Should be.possible to use it as a.no rinse but not figured out how yet.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:50 pm

If this Morrisons stuff is only 1% strength, then I'd use it at about 20ml per litre for 20mins to disinfect equipment thats already physically clean, up to about 250ml or so per litre for cleaning power.

Thats with rinsing; I've never tried no-rinse with bleach myself - I think it involves acidification (or can do) to compensate for the lower doses, which is potentially dangerous with my very limited chemistry knowledge, toxic gasses and so on.
Kev

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 pm

That's why I have not tried no rinse yet. Chlorine is nasty stuff. Need time to read round and refresh my chemistry knowledge...

It is all in there... Just not been called on since 1993...

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Now didn't the guy who made star San say somthing about bleach the stuff your talking about, and a bit of vinegar. I have a look and see if I can find it.

And while I think about it asda have a cheapo type (smart price) unscented bleach that's was about 28p the last time I got some.
To Busy To Add,

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:Now didn't the guy who made star San say somthing about bleach the stuff your talking about, and a bit of vinegar. I have a look and see if I can find it.

And while I think about it asda have a cheapo type (smart price) unscented bleach that's was about 28p the last time I got some.
Yes he did... But... Need to get ratiis right and do it.properly. rather than just read off back of packet for any other cleaner! Not really spur of the moment is it.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:34 pm

:shock:
To Busy To Add,

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at ASDA smart price, too. Bit more of a hike to my local, but 28p isn't much, amazing they can stock and move anything heavy at that price!

cheers
kev
Kev

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:50 am

hazelbrew wrote:
Wonkydonkey wrote:Now didn't the guy who made star San say somthing about bleach the stuff your talking about, and a bit of vinegar. I have a look and see if I can find it.

Yes he did... But... Need to get ratiis right and do it.properly. rather than just read off back of packet for any other cleaner! Not really spur of the moment is it.
Its not that difficult or dangerous. 15ml of 5% bleach in 5US gallons of water, then add 15ml of 5% distilled white Vinegar to the very diluted bleach in the bucket.

OF COURSE THE ONE THING YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO IS ADD UNDILUTED VINEGAR TO UNDILUTED BLEACH

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:08 am

Aleman wrote:..THE ONE THING YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO IS ADD UNDILUTED VINEGAR TO UNDILUTED BLEACH
Ah yes, I knew there was some minor detail like that.. :)

But yes, I should have made the distinction between being difficult to do (which it isn't) and being important to do correctly (which it is).

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Jackthehat
Tippler

Post by Jackthehat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:20 pm

I think that the amount of vinegar needs to reflect the alkalinity of the water, otherwise the buffering effect prevents it from lowering the PH sufficiently.

Lidl's own label is unscented and 5%.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks, another one for the list! Lidl is a bit further away for me, however at five times the strength of some then it would be a better bet - a lot less to carry up to and store in my flat.

I wasn't personally intending to acidify, that sort of crept into the thread, but yes testing the PH seems like a sensible thing to do. Unlike physical cleaners, its not obvious (until too late) if disinfectants have worked or not, so I'd want to be confident in what I was using.

Thanks again,
Kev
Kev