Sodium Percarbonate and skincare

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
j444fog
Steady Drinker

Sodium Percarbonate and skincare

Post by j444fog » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi, can anyone advise please on whether I would need to wear some form of skin protection when cleaning / sterilising FV's Cornies and boilers etc with Sodium Percarbonate?

I don't bother using gloves or other protection with chlorine based cleaner / steriliser, but understand that Sodium Percarbonate when diluted is a form of (or equivalent to) Hydrogen Peroxide, and I'm wondering if it is more caustic on the skin than chlorine based product?

Thanks

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Sodium Percarbonate and skincare

Post by vacant » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Are there any hazard warnings on the pot?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 pm

I am sure others can add but you might want to see the info on the Malt Miller site about it here.

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Reminds me... I must buy some more.

I've not had any problems, but I don't tend to leave my hands immersed in it or in contact with it for any length of time otherwise I'd be tempted to wear a pair of gloves I think.

If you do have any issues with the bleaching effect of of the hydrogen peroxide though, I'm sure you'll be all white in the end :D

James

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 pm

I wash my hands a lot so they are often red and cracking if I don't moisturise. I don't find Oxi cleaner on my hands much worse than soap, at the end of cleaning I just moisturise and it's all fine the next day.

On the website the Tesco's own brand Oxi cleaner just says it's a danger to eyes. Given it's a laundry stain remover I would expect to get it on my hands when using it so if it was damaging to skin I would expect they would detail it.

j444fog
Steady Drinker

Post by j444fog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm using it as a cleaner before using Starsan to sanitise, no ill effects on the hands so far.

James .... terrible terrible pun .... :lol: