bottle advice?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
spanspoon

bottle advice?

Post by spanspoon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:36 pm

after around 18 months off i have started brewing again.
when packing away my grolsch bottles i stupidly i cleaned them and them with a spray of cif oxi left in them.
before bottling a couple of weeks ago i gave everything a good scrub and sterilised with starsan but noticed that on some of the bottles there was an oily residue left behind.
on tasting my beer it tastes like a cleaning product and undrinkable.
i'm half tempted to throw em unless anyone has advice on giving them a good clean? i need a product that will neutralise the oily film left behind from the cleaner.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

bottle advice?

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Starsan should do it, or anything acidic

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: bottle advice?

Post by MTW » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:38 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Starsan should do it, or anything acidic
Yes, if it's the film that can be left from soaking in oxi too long (or even not particularly long, in my experience!) or too strong, then the only thing that worked for me was something acidic; Star San.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:10 pm

wash them out, take the "swing" off, put them in the oven slowly ramp up to 200 °C leave for 20 mins, turn off and with the oven door closed let them cool possibly over night.

aamcle

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:30 am

not had this issue, but use swing tops that do have long periods of no-use, fwiw i store mine clean n dry with the stone sat on the top but without the clamp engaged if that makes sense..

for an oily residue i would suggest a soak with soda crystals in Hot water. Its great for oil n grease removal, then a warm oxi soak and rinse and you should be fine..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Oxyclean is mostly sodium carbonate which is the same as soda crystals so is there any benefit over just soaking in oxyclean?

demig
Hollow Legs

bottle advice?

Post by demig » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:49 pm

rpt wrote:Oxyclean is mostly sodium carbonate which is the same as soda crystals so is there any benefit over just soaking in oxyclean?
Oxi is sodium percarbonate which is an adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. An important difference although I see your point, I would just use oxi because once in water it is basically a mix of soda crystals and hyrdrogen peroxide and this is of course in water :) Easier to skip a step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:56 pm

demig wrote:
rpt wrote:Oxyclean is mostly sodium carbonate which is the same as soda crystals so is there any benefit over just soaking in oxyclean?
Oxi is sodium percarbonate which is an adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. An important difference although I see your point, I would just use oxi because once in water it is basically a mix of soda crystals and hyrdrogen peroxide and this is of course in water :) Easier to skip a step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
not being a chemist i cant comment on the above, however in use i have found soda crystals need a substantially hotter solution (circa 70-80C) to activate the vigorous degreasing behaviour while laundry oxi will shift a dried on Kraussen ring with a soak at a much more friendly 30-40C (hot tap temp) soak..

apart from brewing related joys, there is nothing quite as satisfying watching the grease float off a cooker hood grease trap in a roasting tin of soda crystal solution on the gas ring as it starts to get HOT! ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:05 pm

demig wrote:Oxi is sodium percarbonate
It's only 30% sodium percarbonate, 70% sodium carbonate.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:22 pm

spanspoon wrote: i'm half tempted to throw em unless anyone has advice on giving them a good clean? i need a product that will neutralise the oily film left behind from the cleaner.
Get yourself something like this and give them a good jetting with HOT water.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faucet-Carboya ... B0055RSPKK

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde