PBW best value place to buy

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

PBW best value place to buy

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm

hi guys , as title really , i currently use oxy , and diluted bleach , starsan for all my cleaning needs, but i want to give pbw a go , so wheres the best place to get it from?

demig
Hollow Legs

Re: PBW best value place to buy

Post by demig » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:26 pm

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ac ... gents.html

Has it but far better to do a group buy and split. If you can get 5 of you to split a 22.5kg tub it's about 45quid depending on exchange rate etc. I've done it before in the NE Facebook home brew group. I don't see the big tub on that link but I think they can get it in if you ask, might be worth asking and also seeing if you can drum up interest. It is marvellous stuff, loads better than straight oxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:41 pm

ill email them and ask , £45 is not too bad if it's good swag , how much do you use per liter etc ?

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 pm

1 to 2 ounces per gallon for cleaning kettles, 3/4 ounce per gallon for fermenters, kegs, tanks

Is the official info I think personally I just use a scoop and loads of hot water and leave it until it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm

I use 90g in 5 litres.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:46 pm

PBW is more potent than standard oxy cleaner, and so great for the tougher jobs. But for more normal/modest roles you can also dilute it more than oxy (and more than the manufacturer recommendations) and still get better performance. So probably worth some tests to see what works for you - there's little point using it full strength for easy jobs, IMO, otherwise it gets needlessly costly.

FWIW, I make my own (not dissimilar) cleaner from 2x sodium percarbonate to 1x sodium metasilicate, occasionally adding some calgon powder to reduce scaling on longer soaks. If bought in reasonable quantities this can be quite economical and still more effective than oxy alone. However, it lacks the sophistication of true PBW, so I'd suggest trying that to give you a baseline at the very least.
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 pm

take care with bulk quantities as its a hydroscopic powder (think thats the word - it sucks up atmospheric water..) so make sure its kept in a dry spot well sealed.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 pm

90g in 5 liters :shock: i was thinking of putting it in the 40l i collect off the cfc to clean everything at the end , but that could get real expensive real quick ! So i think rinse most crap off things with most of the water , then use the last 5 - 10 liters with pbw to clean at the end?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:34 pm

I use at about 7g per litre, sometimes less depending on the job.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:49 am

Haydnexport wrote:90g in 5 liters :shock: i was thinking of putting it in the 40l i collect off the cfc to clean everything at the end , but that could get real expensive real quick ! So i think rinse most crap off things with most of the water , then use the last 5 - 10 liters with pbw to clean at the end?
Just noticed I missed off the 1 should be 90g in 15 litres. This is used to clean absolutely everything on brew day. from fermentor to pumps and hoses. Sorry. :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:52 am

thats a better ratio ! :lol: :lol:

orlando

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 am

Haydnexport wrote:thats a better ratio ! :lol: :lol:
It is still at the belt & braces end. :D I use in conjunction with peracetic acid on the day (brew that is) then after that starsan in a spray bottle, typically before taking samples from butterfly valves. Caustic is deployed for plate chiller, kegs and ball valve on the kettle but on a long cycle. Can you tell I've had some sanitation failures? :roll:

Fermenting:
Conditioning: