Cleaning a plate chiller

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Cleaning a plate chiller

Post by sbond10 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:20 am

I've been offered a plate chiller on loan by a local micro (if they can find it ) that's too small for there kit. It's not been used in a while so I thinking of asking um to flush it for me with there standard cleaner (probs caustic ) now I'm aware this can cause damage to the internal s but a quick blow thru to remove spiders won't harm.

But then it comes to cleaning on the usual before and after each use boiling water flushes and a soda crystal run back n forth seems sensible using the idea that's someone on here showed using a 2litre jerry can arrangement.
The main part tho will 've sanitizing the internals now I use star San but as where all aware this particular product likes to foam like a rabid dog on a rabbit so running it thru a pump and a plate chiller seems like I'm gonna be having a bath bomb party. And as I have to buy ash beck water it's adding cost.

I ideally want a cleaner that standard tap water can be used to dilute and is low cost. I've seen viadene but it's getting expensive and hard to find. Caustic could damage the internals and I have no idea where to brewing grade caustic as I imagine wilkos drain cleaner will have other stuff added.

So anyone any suggestions for a cheap off the shelve cleaner and tips for looking after a plate chiller

Cheers Sean

Jocky

Re: Cleaning a plate chiller

Post by Jocky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Videne and Starsan aren't cleaners, they are sanitisers.

They should be used on brewing kit that is already clean as a final step to knock back yeast and bacteria.

In this case I think you need a cleaner. Personally I have found nothing better than PBW, particularly when in warm water. The Malt Miller has its own cleaner that is very similar (and cheaper, but not as good for static soaking), otherwise VWP or the Brupaks cleaners are OK.

So use one of those, hot, and pump it back and forth through the wort side of the chiller, before finishing with a clean water flush, and a sanitiser flush before use too.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 pm

For cleaning, a hot water rinse as soon as possible after use would be the first port of call. Followed soon by PBW or another percarbonate cleaner, which are a safer alternative to caustic, they may take a little longer but time is not money for homebrewers. To be on the safe side, I would probably avoid chlorine based products (which I believe includes VWP?) as chlorine on stainless needs to be managed fairly carefully.

For disinfecting the (previously cleaned) plate chiller, then heat is good - if it will fit in a pressure cooker for 20mins then excellent, or perhaps a wallpaper steamer could be directed through it for half an hour. The oven can work too, if left for a few hours - but I'm assuming a solid metal chiller, if it is one of the professional gasketed types that can be disassembled, things may be different; don't want to be melting any seals.

For chemical means of disinfecting, then an iodophore solution would be good, though as you say getting harder to find. So would a peracetic acid solution, though it is a little bit hazardous if you haven't used acids before, and if the chiller has copper brazing then contact times need to be kept short. Alternatively there is a cousin to starsan called saniclean; it is very similar to starsan except that the dilution rate is slightly different and it is designed not to foam.
Kev

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm

So soda crystal s are a no then ? I'll have to get sum oxi bleach in
Then try locate a nice cheap sanitizer for the short term starsan but I'll be looking for something else

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:57 pm

sbond10 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm
So soda crystal s are a no then ? I'll have to get sum oxi bleach in
Then try locate a nice cheap sanitizer for the short term starsan but I'll be looking for something else
Soda crystals are sometimes underrated, and are good enough for most things. They may well get you by even with a plate chiller if used soon after use. But for hidden crevices in cold-side parts, such as plate chillers partially are, I personally would use something stronger. Particularly if you are going to use chemicals to disinfect, instead of heat. Chemicals need to get to places to work, and crud can prevent them penetrating.

BTW most of the emphasis with cleaning plate chillers is prevention; cure is very difficult sometimes. IMO don't use them without a properly fine filter, as bits can get lodged in them and then refuse to come out
Kev

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 am

I was watching how my local does it so I was well aware of the fine filter needed.
Guess I'll be shelling out on serious cleaning product shortly

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:30 am

I've seen experiments with dishwasher tablets that were impressive.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:30 pm

I saw a vid of plate chiller and dishwasher tabs no idea if works long term

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:52 pm

:D

That's a lot of cleaner! I bought 2 x 5l bottles about 5 years ago and I've only used about an inch from the top of the first one.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

richc

Post by richc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:22 pm

For sanitising simply recirculate boiling wort through it for a few minutes before turning the cold water on.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 pm

I've heard this on American forum but I'm guessing it's gotta be spotless first

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:44 am

As I mentioned, heat works. But all wort-related parts of the chiller need to get hot and stay hot for some time for good results, so if the chiller may have build ups of crud it could take longer to penetrate
Kev

wessexwyvern

Post by wessexwyvern » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:34 am

[quote=Jim post_id=821942 time=1504284758 user_id=2]
[quote=wessexwyvern post_id=821883 time=1504133630 user_id=17429]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Kleen-Pur ... Swax5YrwXX
[/quote]

That's a lot of cleaner! I bought 2 x 5l bottles about 5 years ago and I've only used about an inch from the top of the first one.
[/quote]

If I remember rightly Jim your brewing schedule is fairly tame :D :=P

I presumed all beer line cleaners would be the same but I've since found out that cheaper ones contain Sodium Hydroxide. The more expensive ones like ODEX contain Potasium Hydroxide. They both cause soapification, turning oils and fats to soap but Potasium Hydroxide works faster and rinses more freely (not really a problem if you are using one with a purple dye).

Check those 5 year old bottles for that Sodium Hyprochloritey goodness smell. They have a shelf life.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:25 pm

wessexwyvern wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:34 am
Jim wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:52 pm

If I remember rightly Jim your brewing schedule is fairly tame :D :=P

I presumed all beer line cleaners would be the same but I've since found out that cheaper ones contain Sodium Hydroxide. The more expensive ones like ODEX contain Potasium Hydroxide. They both cause soapification, turning oils and fats to soap but Potasium Hydroxide works faster and rinses more freely (not really a problem if you are using one with a purple dye).

Check those 5 year old bottles for that Sodium Hyprochloritey goodness smell. They have a shelf life.
True. I don't brew as often as I used to.

I'll have to check the bottles and see if there's a 'use by' date, but I don't recall seeing one on there.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter