Cleaning a plate chiller

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Cleaning a plate chiller

Post by sbond10 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:28 pm

So hot water flush then line cleaner then flush again then sanitize with something

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 am

Anyone got a dosing rate for peracetic acid

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 am

sbond10 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 am
Anyone got a dosing rate for peracetic acid
I use 150ml in 15 litres per brew day. I soak a lot of the kit in it before using so have a big document box that acts as a tank. It deteriorayes fairly quickly after that so I revert to Starsan for one off needs.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

wessexwyvern

Post by wessexwyvern » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 pm

They usually fit in a pressure cooker for sterilising.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 pm

That equates to about 20 ml in 2 litres then

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm

wessexwyvern wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 pm
They usually fit in a pressure cooker for sterilising.
That's my last step before using. After use it is rinsed and hot (65c) PBW is recirculated through it for circa 1/2 hour, rinsed again until it pours clear with no "bits" observable and returned upside down to the PC ready for sterilising before the next brew. Done this from new and recently put caustic through it to check how effective the regime had been and was delighted to see it was completely clean with no hint of old wort or hop matter.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm

How on earth do you use it in a pressure cooker

wessexwyvern

Post by wessexwyvern » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Flush with BLC followed by water after use. Sterilise the plate chiller in the pressure cooker before use.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Do you just chuck it in with water I have no idea

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 am

to sanitise in a pressure cooker fill with water as you would for cooking spuds (1 cm or so @ the bottom) place the plate chiller in the pressure cooker and add 5-10ml of water in each plate system (this will boil within the plates and fill them with steam evacuating any air)

then close up the pressure cooker and seal the lid and turn on the heat. wait till a steady stream of steam evacuates the lid vent before placing the weight on, this will evacuate all the air and ensure the pressure cooker is full of steam, any residual air will work against you.

once all air is out and only steam is evacuating the vent place the weight on and wait for the pressure to build up.

Once upto 15 psi turn the heat down to simmer and just maintain the pressure/heat and let it run for 15-20 minutes. (if it stops hissing whack the heat back up a notch or 2..) then turn of the heat and let the pressure cooker sit and cool before you attempt to remove the weight and lid.
LET IT COOL FULLY Before attempting to open. BE PATIENT. the enclosed steam under pressure is far hotter than steam from a kettle spout and if opened prematurely it will expand to engulf you very quickly if you manage to overcome the safety features of the lid clamps.

@ 15psi it should reach a temp of 135c iirc hold that for 15 minutes and it will kill everything ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

wessexwyvern

Post by wessexwyvern » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:02 am

do you let spuds cool fully before you remove them from the pressure cooker Fil?

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:56 am

I haven't used water in the plate chiller before, believing the temperature of the air in it would be enough to kill everything. Seems to work without so how important is it?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:42 am

I'll have to Google pressure cookers now ....

You say 10-15 ml in each plate do you mean in each port. How early can I cook it for and do you stick anything under it

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am

I got mine (a MIRO) from the States. Mainly because I wanted to be able to accomodate 2 litre flasks for yeast propogation. TBH that size I would now say is essential as I use it's capacity regularly for sterilising all sorts of things. Not sure what you mean about "how early can I cook it for", but your next quetion is answered by they usually come with a false bottom.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:19 am

What I mean is the day before I brew I normally clean all the gear down can I do it then and leave with clean film over the port s or is it in the last hour job