Cleaning/Sterilizing 100L + breweries

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
perryni

Cleaning/Sterilizing 100L + breweries

Post by perryni » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:35 pm

I am thinking about setting up a 100 litre + brewery in my garage which will be set up all the time as the garage will only be used for brewing.

My question is how do you go about cleaning these big pots without moving them about all the time. Is there some sort of Clean In Place system I could utilise for a standard 3 pot setup with pumps and plate chiller etc?

Cheers
Nick

FermentedCulture

Re: Cleaning/Sterilizing 100L + breweries

Post by FermentedCulture » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Something like this would probably work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykawHzsHKw

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Spray ball if you get a decent submersible pump

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:17 am

you need to consider some factors when designing the set up too, for example bottom drains with zero deadspace become necessary to ensure rinsing isnt just diluting the residue post cleaning. or be prepared to mop up any volume left in deadspace with towels or similar beyween cleaning /rinsing/sanitation cycles.

depending on the size you opt for it may be cheaper to modify the cleaning station to accommodate bigger pots, i repurposed a rigid 90l builders mixing trug as my brewshed sink to accommodate cleaning of my 100/80/100 set up.. 100l pots are not heavy just bulky ;)

I fitted a standard kitchen sink drain/overspill through the base and supporting shelf, and knocked up 2 x copper tube swan neck taps with lever valves

the circa 600mm id is ample to upturn the 50-55 cm diameter kettle and hlt for a easy drain, stood upright with a clean towel to absorb residual water overnight finishes the clean up.

imho CIP etc is only a MUST when your pots are unmanageable either due to mass or bulk.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:17 am

you need to consider some factors when designing the set up too, for example bottom drains with zero deadspace become necessary to ensure rinsing isnt just diluting the residue post cleaning. or be prepared to mop up any volume left in deadspace with towels or similar beyween cleaning /rinsing/sanitation cycles.

depending on the size you opt for it may be cheaper to modify the cleaning station to accommodate bigger pots, i repurposed a rigid 90l builders mixing trug as my brewshed sink to accommodate cleaning of my 100/80/100 set up.. 100l pots are not heavy just bulky ;)

I fitted a standard kitchen sink drain/overspill through the base and supporting shelf, and knocked up 2 x copper tube swan neck taps with lever valves

the circa 600mm id is ample to upturn the 50-55 cm diameter kettle and hlt for a easy drain, stood upright with a clean towel to absorb residual water overnight finishes the clean up.

imho CIP etc is only a MUST when your pots are unmanageable either due to mass or bulk.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 pm

lovin the ghetto setup and how close your 240v is to the splash area

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Haydnexport wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 pm
lovin the ghetto setup and how close your 240v is to the splash area
2 x temporary 16a feeds enter the shed in the top right hand corner of the wall with the window in it, Both independently protected with a dedicated 16a breaker. one travels around the room in conduit in one direction the other round in the other direction.. to the left of the sink the brick column has an 1p66 box switch to isolate the 3kw water heater mounted lower down on the same column.

Power daisy chains between sheds, So When needed i can 'bleed off' lighting etc.. .. 1 x 16a feed starts in the garage, the 2nd from the beer cellar (old coalshed now housing the washing machine on the kitchen ring). Both fed via 2.5mm sq flex with an acceptable voltage drop. (dont ask me, my hand was held during that check..)
i screwed up buying 1p44 16a plugs n sockets so had to add weather proof shelter boxes DOH!!

So far so good, any lecky problems and the local mcb trips before the garage and or house, the intention is to isolate the 3kw inline water heater when brewing with the big brewery to provide power for the 2nd hlt or kettle element, when i forget and turn on the hot water tap the mcb trips as you would hope ;) .. Grainfather brewdays run off the 2nd power feed allowing me to keep the hot water heater online. tho a 3kw water heater is a feeble supply, most of the hot clean up water comes from the cfc..

I have a pal who is a retired sparky who passes an eye over everything i do and gets his ear bent with plans in advance, tho his advice isnt always upto current code..

But to answer your Q
Being an 8' x 8' area Everywhere is splashable, tho currently everything on the window wall area brewstation wall is splash proof..