Low cost Starsan alterantive

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Carnot
Piss Artist

Re: Low cost Starsan alterantive

Post by Carnot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm

That is a very good question and I do not have an answer,yet. But DDBSA, the active in Starsan is a surfactant, which is the active in many cleaning products, including washing up liquids. Without getting too technical surfactants come in 4 main types. Positively charged( cationic), negatively charged (anionic), non ionic , and amphoteric ( contains both positive and negative species). DDBSA is anionic.

I am not proposing my approach as non rinse ( I usually rinse several times), though if you think about it how well do many people rinse their crockery. The fact that Fairy liquid is a consumer product and has no X warnings ( only advises against eye contact) makes it pretty safe. Fairy contains anionic and non ionic surfactants and an isothiazolinone (biocide) , phenoxyethanol (preservative) and a perfume.

The beer head is stabilised by a number of substances, mainly proteins. I doubt if residual cleaning liquid at the levels expected would have much effect. I will find out though. Silicone oil on the other hand is pretty effective as an antifoam. An acquaintance of mine spiked the washing machine in a pub(in Germany) with a small amount of silicone oil for a joke. The beer was flat all night.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm

What MarkA typed really. I 'invested' about 20 quid in a 32oz (0.94L) bottle so long ago I can't remember. I'm guessing about 4 years ago. It should last another couple years at this rate. PBW looks expensive too, but when you figure out, with very little elbow grease, you can clean a primary FV with 2L (at 7g/L) then reuse the stuff for another primary FV or two, then store it in a bucket for cleaning tubes, taps, etc., it works out a lot cheaper than it seems.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 pm

This is only my personal opinion but I would never re-use Starsan (or clones) and even more-so NEVER re-use PBW if anyone is so inclined. The later will quickly loose it disinfecting effect in a water solution.

I just hate paying a fortune for what a pretty simple products and would rather use fresh each time than try and save money by re-use. It is down to the individual. Maybe I overkill but I also use two other food industry cleaners, Amphoclen and Trio 100, which I tend to use on the fermentation vessels, the conditioning vessels( SS Chronicle) and the kegs. Not much to choose between them but this does the heavy cleaning usually followed by Starsan or Sodium percarbonate. All the tubing is cleaned with Sodium percarbonate solution. So far, no issues.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Carnot, disinfecting/sanitising works best post cleaning. Pre-used PBW solution works as an effective cleaner for days, if not a week or two. With a little preliminary elbow grease, and I mean little, the working solution stays relatively clean too :wink:

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Ouch, I do not concur with your view on PBW. The active is sodium percarbonate which decomposes in solution to form hydrogen peroxide. The half life is short, very short. Re-use at your peril. I would not risk it.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:07 am

Surprisingly simple for anyone to test :wink: