Making Agar Slants (Slopes) - In Pictures

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Belter

Re: Making Agar Slants (Slopes) - In Pictures

Post by Belter » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 pm

I bought some highly accurate jewellers scales from ebay for this and water treatment salts. Very handy, wouldn't be without them now

molehill

Post by molehill » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:39 pm

So Lee.... any chance of answering my question mate?

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Haha I thought I was. I don't have time now as going to cinema. If I remember tomorrow I'll Try and weigh some out for you.

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 am

@molehill call a level measuring teaspoon 5g and base it on that. Also, make up extras and just leave them sitting on a shelf or in a food press. I always leave extras sitting at room temp. Have some unused slants I made up about 10 months ago sitting in my pantry and they're ready for streaking any time I buy a new vial of yeast . If your process is good there's no reason the slants can't sit at room temp for ever. They're sterile after autoclaving

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Lars......I appreciate the info...... Now I can get into production.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm

I would seriously consider getting a set of scale like THESE ONES, I bought a similar set from ebay and they've been excellent. It so difficult to try and accurately guess weights volumetrically, and this takes all the hassle out of it.
To my mind, if you're going to the effort of making slants then you might as well make sure you've measured everything accurately!
Good luck with the slants :)
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Thank you Cpt Fredrickson...... Just bought one...... At that price I would be stupid not to!

Cheers :wink:

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:26 pm

I have read that one or two people having problems standing their slants upright in the pressure cooker. Today I made my first slants and stood them in a single silver foil pie dish that I had bought for pie making costing just a few pence. It worked really well as the foil is flexible and the top can be squeezed slightly to loosely hold the slants upright. :D

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I did a brew yesterday, using the Sussex 1 slant I had purchased from Brewlabs. After the first step I looped 4 new slants I had recently made and set them aside for 5 days at about 16c -18c. They filled out rapidly during Friday and Saturday, so I stored them away in the fridge. I wasn't sure whether I should leave them out this long and worked on the theory they look at a similar stage as the one I purchased. My steps consisted of 40mml - 400mls then finally 1.8lt and hope this will be ok.

I also bottled a mild that had been in the FV for 13 days. I know my steps were very poor on this brew i.e. 40ml - 400ml and then pitched as I did not have the vessels to go higher. I was very disappointed with the watery yeast deposit in the bottom of the FV and assumed this was as a result of poor performance. Hopefully it will turnout ok and that yesterdays brew performs better? [-o<

MikeMarcus

Post by MikeMarcus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:20 pm

presumably the lids of PP vials have to be on loose while being autoclaved. Or can they handle being pressurised to that extent?

BenB

Post by BenB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Where's aDeLorean when you need one ;)

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Yes lids loose

Philip123

Post by Philip123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 pm

I have a question:- When I come to use one of the vials what exactly is the process. It sounds as if you pitch the vial into a starter let it do its thing and then start all over again to increase the quantity. Is this correct. Do you put the starter into the fridge after the first ferment or do you just keep adding DME?
I'm really confused.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 am

Make a 500ml starter @ 1.040, preferably with a pinch of yeast nutrients. Bring the yeast slope up to room temperature. When the starter wort is cooled to room temperature, aerate it. Then carefully top up the slope vial with some of the aerated starter wort. Mix well (invert for a minute or two) without removing the agar from the vial wall. I leave mine for about 30 minutes, to allow the yeast to partially resuspend themselves. Give it another good mix and pitch into the starter wort. This should be sufficient for a typical 23L batch of wort. If you want to step up to, say 1L, just knock up 100g DME in 550ml water (10% for evaporation). When the first step is finished, add this 500ml of starter wort to get 1L at 1.040ish.

MonsieurBadgerCheese
Steady Drinker

Post by MonsieurBadgerCheese » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Good Evening,

Does anyone have any (more recent) sources for suppliers of equipment for this process please? I have been reading the thread with interest along with 'Yeast' by Chris White. Would be keen to have a go. Thanks.

MBC.