Complete Brew including set up, Brew Day and Packaging

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Complete Brew including set up, Brew Day and Packaging

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:54 am

Edward wrote:One question; in the picture of inside your fridge unit with the caption, "All tucked up: Now you may look at that and think "he only got 19 litres" but the rest is foam from the paddle aeration, told you it was good." - what is the tube at the bottom? I'm assuming heat control? If so can you give make/model number?

Thank you.
Hi Edward, thanks for the kind words, I have to say I probably won't do it again :lol:.

That is a tube heater, click this link it provides the heat side for maintaining the constant temperature for fermentation, the fridge of course providing the cooling. Just above the fridge there is a picture that shows an STC 1000, which is a temperature controller, a sensor from this is fed through the door seal and is taped to the side of the FV and isolated with some bubble wrap to monitor as close to the beer temperature as possible. I have tested this many times and it is nearly always within 1/2 a degree of actual. After good sanitation I think temperature controlled fermentation is one of the most important things a brewer can control. In a fridge that size the 60W version is adequate but if you have a larder fridge you might go a little higher and use a small computer fan to circulate the air.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Edward

Post by Edward » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 pm

hi orlando, thanks for that. Next step for me is the temperature control, so it's great to get an idea of other homebrewers' set ups!!

many thanks

lufcaidan

Post by lufcaidan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am

Great post Orlando. I always enjoy reading such detailed posts from guys who evidently have so much brewing experience.

I'm pleased to say that I'm already doing most of the things that you are although I did have a couple of questions on some of the things you mentioned which I hope might speed up my process a bit.

When you talked about rinsing, cleaning and sanitizing your bottles immediately after use before capping with those plastic caps, do you literally just leave those to one side and then when you're ready to bottle you don't do anything extra with them, or do you then re-clean and sanitize once more on bottling day?

Also, when you use the bottling bucket, what steps do you follow to clean and sanitize that? Do you remove the tap and sanitize that separately? If so what do you use to bung up the hole left in the bucket when you take the tap out? I'v been using a separate tap but it always seems really faffy.

Cheers
Aidan

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 am

lufcaidan wrote:
When you talked about rinsing, cleaning and sanitizing your bottles immediately after use before capping with those plastic caps, do you literally just leave those to one side and then when you're ready to bottle you don't do anything extra with them, or do you then re-clean and sanitize once more on bottling day?
Yes, but I gave the caveat of checking the bottles regularly, looking for any sign of deposits on the inside walls. Only if I see that do I reclean. It pays to have a complete reclean every 6 months or so just to be sure.
Also, when you use the bottling bucket, what steps do you follow to clean and sanitize that? Do you remove the tap and sanitize that separately? If so what do you use to bung up the hole left in the bucket when you take the tap out? I'v been using a separate tap but it always seems really faffy.
Yes I do, particularly as I tend to use cornies more than bottling, so the tap is often left for some time. I then replace it and rack off as usual. No need for a separate tap. Once you have finished cleaning and sanitising the tap replace and then spray the inside of the bucket with starsan, I use one of those household plant sprayers.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

lufcaidan

Post by lufcaidan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks orlando. The bottle thing will save a ton of time, cheers for that.:)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Orlando,
Great post, inspiring for all new brewers. Lots of good looking gear in your cellar! My last post on here said the 3m X 3.4m base for my Beer Shed (2.4 tons concrete) went down. All Blockwork now finished! Roof to go on soon, windows and doors ready to go in as well! Ha Ha Remember the front room photo! :D

Of Course there will be step by step boring photos as progress continues, or I might just wait till it`s finished and show it in all it`s Glory! Vote on it! Day by Day or wait till the end? Already got a tall fridge and a normal sized fridge for it! Watching loads of complete kitchens on fleabay.
Obsession, what obsession?
WA

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:23 am

WalesAles wrote:
Of Course there will be step by step boring photos as progress continues, or I might just wait till it`s finished and show it in all it`s Glory! Vote on it! Day by Day or wait till the end?
This is the key really. Showing the stages you go through, highlighting the issues as you go helps people to make good decisions based on others experience and hopefully avoid mistakes. Practically everything I wrote about is "stolen" from someone else and if I could remember where I got everything from I would acknowledge the source. But in the end it isn't important, we all borrow and try out ideas and as long as we share our experiences it becomes, "what comes around goes around".

First you take then you give. :)

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Nice write up man!

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:00 am

floydmeddler wrote:Nice write up man!
You're welcome Floyd, nice to know you liked it, no small effort.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:00 am

WalesAles wrote:Orlando,
Great post, inspiring for all new brewers. Lots of good looking gear in your cellar! My last post on here said the 3m X 3.4m base for my Beer Shed (2.4 tons concrete) went down. All Blockwork now finished! Roof to go on soon, windows and doors ready to go in as well! Ha Ha Remember the front room photo! :D

Of Course there will be step by step boring photos as progress continues, or I might just wait till it`s finished and show it in all it`s Glory! Vote on it! Day by Day or wait till the end? Already got a tall fridge and a normal sized fridge for it! Watching loads of complete kitchens on fleabay.
Obsession, what obsession?
WA
So 6 months gone by, guess it is finished so let's see it in all it's Glory?

Fermenting:
Conditioning: