Short Bottling Video

Forget 'You've been framed' - post your brewing-related videos here!
danb3434

Short Bottling Video

Post by danb3434 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi all,

I made a really short, snappy video for how to bottle a beer. I think it makes it look a bit too easy, but any feedback is welcome.

lac-bmg

Re: Short Bottling Video

Post by lac-bmg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:08 pm

That's a great beer, just gimme a shaker.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Slickly made well done.

I have three comments, one regarding sanitation. You put the bottom cap on the racking cane with your fingers then put it straight into the beer, this potentially undoes your sanitation. Second is, to avoid oxidation it is much better to get the tube under the racked off beer as soon as you can. The third is to use a bottling wand rather than just the tube with the clip, it's just a lot easier and can be done without any spills and leaving behind the right amount of ullage.

3 years ago I posted some pictures of how I used to bottle here, starts 11th post down. I don't bottle anymore but would stick very closely to the techniques on show as they produced excellent results. The comments above are based on that.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm going to agree with Orlando, and go a bit further, sorry. I appreciate that you wanted to keep it snappy, but the emphasis should still be on sanitisation and lack of oxidation throughout. You don't mention sanitising the priming vessel or the pan, or sanitising your hands (if you really must handle sanitised equipment about to touch the beer). Running beer down the side of a vessel increases its surface area and exposure to air; just get the tube under the surface ASAP, as said above. Likewise, the tube (or better, bottling wand) should go to the bottom of the bottles.

There are personal tweaks one may debate, but there's some pretty poor practice there (maybe partly lack of explanation) that's pretty basic.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:55 pm

danb3434 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:11 pm
Hi all,

I made a really short, snappy video for how to bottle a beer. I think it makes it look a bit too easy, but any feedback is welcome.
Have you made any amendments to the video in light of the comments? Or was it really just an attempt to drive traffic to your website? Given that this was your last post on Jim's I'm guessing the latter. [-X
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer