Jims 10th Anniversary Bitter

This section is for your reviews of members' brews and commercial beers/ales/whatever.
Normski
Under the Table

Jims 10th Anniversary Bitter

Post by Normski » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:04 pm

I was lucky enough to get two bottles of Jims 10th Anniversary Bitter.
I chilled one a little and sampled it. As bellow. The 2nd bottle I drank at room temp.

Good sweetness, Very fruity flavour.
Good bitterness
Light aroma
Nice bitter after taste
Light Brown colour
Very clear and bright
No sediment in bottle

A decent white head that lasted well.
All in all, a very decent pint.
Cheers
I’ll have the same again.

In fact I did have the same again a few days later, this time I just poured it and drank it as a beer should be drank. No faffing around with sniffing and holding up to look through it etc. This one I really enjoyed. It’s a fine bitter. Cheers Jim.

I was very impressed with the level of carbonation and with no yeast or trub in the bottle.
Im not sure how Jim does this, but its very good.
Maybe a master class in bottling can be given.

Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

kev93_10
Piss Artist

Re: Jims 10th Anniversary Bitter

Post by kev93_10 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Bottle from keg.

Simples.

K

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks Norm - nice review. :)

In fact there will have been some yeast in the bottle, but the Notty yeast generally forms just a thin film on the bottom of the bottle. I put that down to letting it clear down well in the primary (using a bit of 'crash' cooling during the second week) - that way you only get the absolute minimum of yeast necessary to carbonate the beer. The Notty deposit is pretty firm as well, so usually doesn't rise up much when you pour.

Eric managed to disturb the yeast deposit in his and it ended up on the side of the bottle - could it be his gait was a bit unsteady on his way home? :lol:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:00 pm

Jim wrote:Thanks Norm - nice review. :)

In fact there will have been some yeast in the bottle, but the Notty yeast generally forms just a thin film on the bottom of the bottle. I put that down to letting it clear down well in the primary (using a bit of 'crash' cooling during the second week) - that way you only get the absolute minimum of yeast necessary to carbonate the beer. The Notty deposit is pretty firm as well, so usually doesn't rise up much when you pour.

Eric managed to disturb the yeast deposit in his and it ended up on the side of the bottle - could it be his gait was a bit unsteady on his way home? :lol:
Did you use Notty for the primary fermentation, or did you add some when you primed for bottling? I'm thinking of using s04, transferring to secondary for a few weeks, then batch priming with some Notty and DME for bottling - I think someone suggested that on here, but can't find the thread.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Grumpydev wrote:

Did you use Notty for the primary fermentation, or did you add some when you primed for bottling? I'm thinking of using s04, transferring to secondary for a few weeks, then batch priming with some Notty and DME for bottling - I think someone suggested that on here, but can't find the thread.
Used Notty throughout.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:58 pm

No he didn't. :D Yes, my gait was a bit wobbly. :o

You might see the yeast on the cap and up the side of the neck in this picture. At first I thought it might have been deliberate to avoid it going into the glass as I was able to simply pour the beer down the other tide without disturing any.

It was a while later before I found there was also yeast on the bottom of the bottle, shown in the second picture. No yeast was disturbed when poured and the beer was completely clear in the glass.

Yes, it was a great beer Jim, I'd like to think mine would reach that standard. Many thanks.

No date yet for the next Brewer's evening, but was told it would be Cullercoats Brewery.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:38 am

Interesting to see the pics, Eric - when you described it I didn't realise the yeast was so far up the neck of the bottle. It looks as if at some point the bottle was almost upside down.

Either a rogue bottle in the first place or was tipped at some point - I don't think I had it on its side at all, but I do have some shop-bought bottles in my cooler that are on their sides - maybe I got it mixed up with them while it was in storage. We'll never know for sure!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter