Timothy Taylor Landlord

This section is for your reviews of members' brews and commercial beers/ales/whatever.
The Epworth Brewer

Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Apologies if this has already been covered, but what the hell has happened to this once great brew? It used to be one of my all time favourites but my own attempts from BYO are nearer what it used to taste like than the nondescript kelt coming out of Keighley nowadays. Madge would most certainly not approve.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by Hanglow » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:48 pm

I've not had it in ages, sad to hear that it's gone crap. Not a few badly kept casks perhaps?

Deuchars went the same way, a shadow of its former self

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Sun May 31, 2015 11:58 pm

I'd agree about Deuchars, it used to be fresh tasting, distinctive and full of flavour. It used to be one of my favorite beers but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as it used to be. The recipe in GW's book is good. I've done it a couple of times and I'll certainly do it again.
I don't know too much about Landlord as I rarely drink it. I had a couple of pints a few weeks ago and they were very good but I could never see what the hype is all about.

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Landlord always tastes great. But I only ever drink it in an exceptional CAMRA rated pub.
Deuchars always seems a bit "meh" to me. Then I only ever see that in youngs pubs and I'm not much of a fan of their stuff either.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:18 pm

Landlord is exceptional in my opinion very difficult to clone I've never managed it or tasted anyone else who has their water is unique to the brewery.
Landlord is an expensive beer for average pubs to buy in but you now often see it in chain pubs who must get it cheaper buying bulk as a cooperative , it's never traveled well and when it's not been handled and served well then I think this is where the drop on quality is coming from.
Champion beer of Britain 4 times
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:38 am

I agree with alix here in the main. I've gotten very close with a couple of clone attempts.....but never spot on.

There is a pub fairly local to me which has it on all the time.....and it is always in good nick. Worth the effort of a 10 minute car journey, even if I am then limited to two pints.
I think you also have to consider the 'lupulin threshold shift'. TTL was once considered an extremely hoppy beer and I think that over the past few years the new hoppier and hoppier styles have shifted everyone's tatebuds and what were once considered very hoppy beers now seem not to be.

If you can find it fresh and in good condition it is still a cracking pint IMO.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:18 pm

We recently stayed a few nights in Skipton, I would guess around 12 miles from the brewery. We stayed in a Timothy Taylor pub and I have to say it was the best Landlord I have ever drank. I have drank it in York, London, my home town and a few other places but the Skipton beer was exceptional.

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Dennis King wrote:We recently stayed a few nights in Skipton, I would guess around 12 miles from the brewery. We stayed in a Timothy Taylor pub and I have to say it was the best Landlord I have ever drank. I have drank it in York, London, my home town and a few other places but the Skipton beer was exceptional.
Which pub did you stay in Den, can you recommend it?
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:21 pm

We stayed here highly recommended. Nice room, great breakfast and very good beer.

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Looks a bit pricey for northern Johnny. :shock:
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

booldawg

Post by booldawg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 pm

I did wonder what all the fuss was about when I tried my first pint of TTL. Mind you, that was only about 3 years ago - maybe it had gone downhill when I tried it.

A lot of beers have become the victims of their success, such as Deuchars IPA, Doom Bar and notice they've even dropped the ABV on Ringwood Old Thumper....

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:50 am

I used to like Doombar a year or so ago, can't stand it now. I was on holiday in York recently and tried the Landlord for the first time after seeing it sitting on supermarket shelves for ages...I can't see what all the fuss is about, it had a bit of malt flavour, a bit of hop and that was about it.

It is probably another prime example of how it travels and how well it is kept, or just indeed my tastebuds, needless to say I won't be rushing to try it again.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Dennis King wrote:We recently stayed a few nights in Skipton, I would guess around 12 miles from the brewery. We stayed in a Timothy Taylor pub and I have to say it was the best Landlord I have ever drank. I have drank it in York, London, my home town and a few other places but the Skipton beer was exceptional.
Landlord is my drink of choice in my local and it is a fantastic beer. It's absolutely nothing like the bottled version you can get in the supermarket, or indeed like the landlord served in another pub down the road from me. It seems to be a beer that changes vastly depending on the various factors which change the taste of a brew, so I can really believe that people have had bad pints of it even when they come from a cask in a usually well looked after pub.

However from some pubs Landlord can be a truly great pint.
Never enough time...

chub1

Post by chub1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Mmmm
had a pint of this yesterday as it was one of the lower ABV's in the pub, well i won't be drinking it again. Bland and tasteless :evil:
Blimey my first attempt at a kit homebrew was better than this rubbish

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by zgoda » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:00 am

I'm sorry guys but when I visited UK finally last autumn I was all "oh, real ales!" guy. But then I tried all these beers from byobra and stuff and I was all "meh, wat?!"

These beers have changed. And our palates have changed as well. Next visit to London in winter 2014/15 was much more enjoyable. Britain still has great beer, although elsewhere. And I'm not talking Brew Dog.