Eric's Beers

This section is for your reviews of members' brews and commercial beers/ales/whatever.
Normski
Under the Table

Eric's Beers

Post by Normski » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:21 pm

I had the pleasure of drinking some of Eric’s beers this week.
Myself, Jim and Woblylegs Anthony went to Eric’s house to collect him and go to the pub. Well that was the plan, but it didn’t quite go that way.
Eric invited us all in for a beer before we set off.
We sampled pretty much everything he had on tap. In fact he just handed us all a glass each and pointed us at his brew room.
1st up was a Pennine bitter. Nice, sweet, with a decent bitterness. I started to get the feeling we were no longer very interested in going to the pub.
2nd up was similar to TT Landlord. Lovely drop. I could drink this one all night. If I remember it was Goldings and Celeia.
3rd up I had a small glass of a Porter. A high gravity brew this one. 8% plus I think.
Tasted more of a RIS to me. But very tasty.
4th was a Jarl. Now we tasted this a few months ago, and Eric wasn’t very impressed with it then, Well we were all very impressed with it now. Really cracking ale this. I think it was Cascade and Amarillo.
Next up was the 1st one again, then the 2nd or was it the 1st again then plenty of the 4th then the 4th then I’m not really sure.
Now Eric is locally known to use ingredients that many would think unsuitable. (tweet tweet). Also Sunderland’s water is barely good enough to wash with, let alone brew. But Eric is quite handy with chemicals and somehow turns this swamp water in to decent liquor.
But, The most important thing is, he is a great brewer.
From some unlikely parts he produces the clearest, balanced and superbly drinkable ales.
All of the session ales were of top quality and way above many decent Camra pubs.
Cheers Eric
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Eric's Beers

Post by Dennis King » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:31 pm

I have sampled his beers in a beer swap, very very good.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Agreed Norm. The pub would have been a disappointment after drinking those.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by woblylegs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Jim wrote:Agreed Norm. The pub would have been a disappointment after drinking those.
your right Jim. the quality would not have being the same at the pub. as norn said the beers were lovely. =D>
lifes what you make it!

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 pm

I've been lucky enough to sample a few of Eric's beers and they have all been excellent =D> .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Many thanks to all for the kind coments, it was a lovely evening which I hope we may soon repeat.

These get-togethers have been very valuable, greatly widening my understanding of brewing. The subject itself appears endless with lots more fertile ground to explore, just need to replenish the beers. How about tapping a pin (36 pints) and pulling it through a beer engine in a latespring or early summer evening? If so, any thoughts on a recipe or style?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:23 pm

good idea Eric.
be nice to have one pulled through the beer engine. as to what beer, ive no idea but ill try owt. maybe Norm or Jim could suggest something.
lifes what you make it!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Sounds good to me - as to the beer style, as long as it's nothing too radical I'll be happy, but a straightforward best bitter would be my favourite.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 pm

That's a grand Idea Eric, What are we drinking after we've emptied the pin.
Norm

OldConkerwood

Post by OldConkerwood » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Now Do, Lads, Aye, you've got me wishing I lived a bit further North.
Sounds like you have a right smashin time.
Barnie.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:09 am

OldConkerwood wrote:Now Do, Lads, Aye, you've got me wishing I lived a bit further North.
Sounds like you have a right smashin time.
Barnie.
Exactly, they have it so good up north .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:55 pm

As a beer suggestion to brew for the pin.
Both Eric and Anthony (woblylegs) said they had a cracking pint recently. It was an Allenhead beer. It might have been there Pennine Pale. Eric/Ant to advise.
There website is very open with the ingredients they say they use. We might even get a few tips from Ford Pop.

Other Allenhead beers that it may have been that Eric an Anthony tasted.

Pennine Pale 4% IBU : 45 Colombus, Cascade, Citra. Malt : Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich
Wagtail 3.8% IBU :33 Target, Fuggles, Goldings. Malt : Pale Ale, Amber, Dark Crystal
Wolf 5.5% IBU :23 Target, Willamette. Malt : Pale Ale, Vienna, Dark Crystal, Amber, Chocolate, Wheat

I’m happy to provide the ingredients for the brew. I have almost everything in that list except Columbus an Willamette.
We might even want to have a collaborative brew day.

Norm

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Normski wrote:...................We might even want to have a collaborative brew day.
Norm
Now that's an idea! :)

(I also like Allendale beers by the way - is this the one you meant? http://www.allendalebrewery.com/beers/pennine-pale . As you say, they helpfully have the malt and hops used on their website!)

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I forgot to mention that Eric actually got me to understand the carbonate reduction reactions in acid-based water treatment. 8)

As I was pissed at the time, I've forgotten it all now though. :bonk

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Normski wrote:As a beer suggestion to brew for the pin.
Both Eric and Anthony (woblylegs) said they had a cracking pint recently. It was an Allenhead beer. It might have been there Pennine Pale. Eric/Ant to advise.
There website is very open with the ingredients they say they use. We might even get a few tips from Ford Pop.

Other Allenhead beers that it may have been that Eric an Anthony tasted.

Pennine Pale 4% IBU : 45 Colombus, Cascade, Citra. Malt : Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich
Wagtail 3.8% IBU :33 Target, Fuggles, Goldings. Malt : Pale Ale, Amber, Dark Crystal
Wolf 5.5% IBU :23 Target, Willamette. Malt : Pale Ale, Vienna, Dark Crystal, Amber, Chocolate, Wheat

I’m happy to provide the ingredients for the brew. I have almost everything in that list except Columbus an Willamette.
We might even want to have a collaborative brew day.

Norm
Indeed that could be a very good idea. However, I must point out that both my pins are spoken for until February when our youngest daughter gets married, the same reason I suggested late spring, early summer. I too have a decent stock at present with 25 each of various hops and grains and while on this topic, Black Sheep Brewery have listed the hop combinations they have used on their new 5 barrel test/small batch rig here. Noticed too the on the Allendale site they show the colour which should help get close to their grist. Their Pennine Bitter has nothing like the recipe I used.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.