Westleverten 12

This section is for your reviews of members' brews and commercial beers/ales/whatever.
BenB

Westleverten 12

Post by BenB » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:46 pm

So it looks like my wife occasionally listens when I talk about beer. Bought me a six pack of this for Christmas! I think it'll be one a year. Had the first today (rude not to). Amazing beer. Sweet complex fig fruity, excellent mouthfeel. Served it at 18 which was about right I think, certainly warming during tasting didn't enhance it.

Anyone gota recipe ;)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Westleverten 12

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:17 am

Belgian pils malt, dark candi syrup (10-15% by weight of grist)
Noble hops to 25-30 IBU
WLP530 (Westmalle) yeast.

OG should be about 1.100

Also recommended to boil down some of the clear first runnings to a syrup and mix back in.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:24 am

There are a few recipies on the net, I was going to to try one myself, but then I got into the making candi side of things which distracted me from actually doing the westy 12. The other thing was the very long boil to acheve the starting sg. So although I did a big beer, it was more like a wee heavy. Which has been in the FV for a week.
I will try and do the 12 some time soon but the candi is a big part of the beer. so I need to practice the candi making a bit more first.
To Busy To Add,

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 am

The malt miller sells candi sugar

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:59 am

Have a look in Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus. There are a few pointers in there.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Dennis King wrote:The malt miller sells candi sugar
its much more fun making it yourself, and cheaper :=P a bit like homebrewing :wink:

But if you don't have the time, I guess then buying it is the other option. :D
To Busy To Add,

BenB

Post by BenB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:31 pm

MTW wrote:Have a look in Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus. There are a few pointers in there.
Interestingly it was reading that book that first made me aware of it! :)
Their water profile sure is interesting....

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:49 pm

BenB wrote:
MTW wrote:Have a look in Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus. There are a few pointers in there.
Interestingly it was reading that book that first made me aware of it! :)
Their water profile sure is interesting....
It sure is a fantastic beer; worth all the hype in my opinion. I've had it twice, a year apart (both seemed identical, as far as I can assess), and I can't believe anyone ever considers the Bernardus 12 can hold a candle to it, despite some of the shared heritage. The first time I tried it was blind, among some other great Belgian quads, and I picked it without hesitation. It's got a delicious 'Madeira' (?) quality to it that I've just never had in anything else. Rochefort 10 comes a respectable and fantastic 2nd out of the quads I've tried... and I guess I'll just keep exploring! In some ways, the R10 is more complex to me, but the taste of W12 just has something that really stands out.

I'm really keen to see any reports of tested recipes and methods too!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:54 am

It's great and I love going across to Belgium and buying a couple of cases of i Also St Bernadus Abt 12 is a great alternative, and also cheaper from retailers if not the source.
Last edited by Hanglow on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serum

Post by serum » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:30 pm

It's a great beer. I've done taste tests with it too and it beats all the others

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:17 pm

I prefer the Rochefort 8 personally, (and the Rochefort 10). Of the Westvleteren beers, the blonde is my favourite (followed by the 12), the 8 is poor IMO.