Fuller's NEIPA

Use this forum to post your reviews of commercial beers, ciders, wines or anything else you can find!
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Fuller's NEIPA

Post by Sadfield » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Interesting tweet from one of Fuller's brewers, looks like they are embracing the murk and craft hopping techniques to produce a New England IPA.

Recipe available here.

https://twitter.com/FullersHenry/status ... 4781232128

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

TheSumOfAllBeers

Re: Fuller's NEIPA

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:24 pm

I have always passed over fullers wild river in pubs - nothing wrong with it , but there is always something else that appeals more.

But had some in can from the local and was very impressed. It retains a malty backbone that is usually absent from uk American styled pale ales.

Fullers get it. I look forward to their spin on a ne IPA

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm

The Fuller's NEIPA is a collab with Cloudwater, I see, so possibly just a one off?

How long before Cloudwater flogs itself to the highest bidder?! :-)

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Nice spot =D>

You can divide by 1000 for a 26l batch, although they'll probably have different efficiency

Doesn't seem like that much hops though compared to some of the recipes you see for NEIPA

so 120g whirlpool, 140g dryhop

sounds tasty anyway :)

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 am

Well, three months on and this will be hitting the shelves in Waitrose sometime in the middle of this month, according to Fullers. Unusually long timescale for a NEIPA, so I fully expect this to be bright, but will it still have the same hop freshness? Really looking forward to this.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

BeerCat

Post by BeerCat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 pm

What exactly is the 750kg of GNO?

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:11 pm

BeerCat wrote:What exactly is the 750kg of GNO?
Golden Naked Oats.

In the FV hop additions, Declaration is start of fermentation, and MV is maturation vessel.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

The pictures of it on twitter show it is bright. And yeah I agree it's been sitting around for a while longer than other beers of the type. Still could be a very good beer in its own right, so am looking forward to trying it along with the rest in the pack

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I hope it is clear and well made; a British take on this type of beer could be very good if done properly. Not so sure about calling it a NEIPA, but I suppose it will have more relation to a NEIPA than a NEIPA has to an IPA.
Kev

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 pm

It's Fuller's, it'll be well brewed, I'm sure of that. I think everything about the recipe, says NEIPA. The only difference is the maturation time is far longer than that of your typical NEIPA and not as fresh from the FV as the New England drinker probably demands. In some cases considered out of date by 3 months. Evidently, it's clearer as a result, tasting whether the flavour is diminished because of this, will be interesting. This difference in maturation time will not be widely known and I expect the many will jump to make the link between clarity and quality. Amusingly, as most homebrew forums will attest, and often advise, badly brewed beer will become clear given this time frame.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Drank one just now,

as you can see it's bright and I had a dirty glass :( The bastard looked clean when I took it out #-o

Aroma is nowhere near in amount to the best modern american style IPAS, does have a slick mouthfeel for a fullers beer though with the oats and the bitterness is probably about right for an NEIPA being fairly low. Not too sweet either. Lots of flavour and a very nice beer indeed imo. But yeah, style nazis will be crying their eyes out

It has a 25 month BBE date too :roll:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Sounds well worth a try, then. Pretty much what i was expecting, really. Thanks for posting!

As for style, well so be it. The NE variety has so little relation to real IPAs that IMO it was a poor choice to link the two by name, but one can't have it both ways - if some kind of evolutionary continuum is to be argued then the fullers example is most definitely on it.
Kev

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 pm

Hanglow wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm

as you can see it's bright and I had a dirty glass :( The bastard looked clean when I took it out #
Hang,
Didn`t you rinse the glass three times before serving? #-o
Any tiny bubbles on the glass are removed by a sharp tap of the glass on the worktop! :D

WA

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Finally had this, and with totally ignoring the haze factor, I'm struggling judge this as a NEIPA. Has the low bitterness and the mouthfeel is heading in the right direction, however I found it lacking in aroma, and more marmalade in flavour, rather than juicy and aromatic.

Tasty beer though and I love what Fullers are doing with this project.