English Trappist Beer

Use this forum to post your reviews of commercial beers, ciders, wines or anything else you can find!
IPA
Under the Table

English Trappist Beer

Post by IPA » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:01 am

https://www.ft.com/content/778a01ce-61d ... 7b740ee958
Strangely you cannot read this link. But I can on my Tablet
Try this link to BBC News and scroll down until a pop up appears on the right hand side.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bbc+new ... e&ie=UTF-8
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jim
Site Admin

Re: English Trappist Beer

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 am

I can't get either of those to work (the FT one is behind a paywall I think) but I searched the BBC website and found this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-48854460
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:30 pm

Tynt Meadow is sold in the US so they must have sorted some of their capacity problems. It’s only available in a few states though and I’ve never seen it.
It’s a shame Spencer in Massachusetts didn’t have this problem and stopped brewing. Their beer was excellent but their distributor must have been pants because I rarely saw their beer.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:48 am

Jim wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 am
I can't get either of those to work (the FT one is behind a paywall I think) but I searched the BBC website and found this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-48854460
This article is from 2019, so not sure whether they’re still having issues.

A member of our local HB club brought along some of this beer a few years ago. Can’t say I was overly impressed TBH.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:42 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:48 am

A member of our local HB club brought along some of this beer a few years ago. Can’t say I was overly impressed TBH.
Bought a couple of bottles not long after its introduction. Those were poor by any standard, in need of significant improvement to produce a desirable product.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:28 pm

It’s considered outstanding now.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/53152/354491/

The brown (7.4%) might be the only one available in the US. I’ll buy a bottle if I ever see one but I don’t think it’s distributed near me.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:15 am

Interesting comments with substantial variance. The two bottles I had were substantially similar, they poured murky brown with a murky brown taste.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:41 pm

Early bottles were definitely murky. Not good.

But I had some a year and a half later and it was excellent.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:57 pm

Jocky wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:41 pm
Early bottles were definitely murky. Not good.

But I had some a year and a half later and it was excellent.
Thanks for this. If seen again, I'll give it another try. Initially it was just like a poor attempt at homebrewing.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:43 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:57 pm
Initially it was just like a poor attempt at homebrewing.
I was just thinking about how the American brewery Ommegang was like that at first. Now they are World Class.
A lot of breweries take a little while to get the kinks out. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of beer a nearby brewpub that when new were awful.