S-04 stuck?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
jasonbrooker1985
Steady Drinker

S-04 stuck?

Post by jasonbrooker1985 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi all, hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

Think I have a stuck fermentation using Safale S-04 (not from dry but a starter from washing an old batch)

I pitched Tuesday evening (2nd Jan) with an OG of 1.043. typical of S-04 it was going like crazy but now it's stopped and is sitting at 1.019 and has been for a couple of days.

Got it in a fermentation fridge and it's been at a steady temp of 20°C.

Fermenting in a conical (Fermentasaurus) and my grain bill was;

3.8 kg Maris Otter
300 g Crystal
150 g Roasted Barley

I have a decent layer of yeast in the collection ball. Could I disconnect, give it a swirl, then pour back in through the top?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

thepatchworkdoll
Steady Drinker

Re: S-04 stuck?

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Jason
Cant help you with your problem but very keen to get your views on the Fermentasaurus. Any feed back regards it will be very much appreciated.
Regards
Patch

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: S-04 stuck?

Post by MTW » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes I would, though I've never had a conical but I guess that's the equivalent of giving it a stir in a bucket. If you can pour back just the yeast, mainly without any trub that may be at the bottom of the ball, even better.

S04 is pretty flocullant stuff, so I'd definitely rouse it one way or the other, based on what you say.

EDIT By the way, do you reckon your harvesting and/or yeast washing method could be selecting increasingly flocculant yeast and may have led to this? Just a thought.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Return to “Fermentation”