FV... does size matter?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Paddington
Piss Artist

FV... does size matter?

Post by Paddington » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

I am currently brewing 10 litre brews, mainly to get more experience of brewing and also to get a good variety of styles in stock.

I now have all four of my 10l fermenters on the go and I’m looking to do a fifth brew this week. My question is, will putting a 10 litre brew in a 25l fv increase the risk of infection?

Thanks.

McMullan

Re: FV... does size matter?

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 pm

No, size at this level doesn't matter. So much CO2 is produced during primary fermentation. There's nothing to be worried about. My latest batch has been split into two 14L batches, in 23L FVs. It is fine to do this.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 am

I agree an active fermentation in a 10l brew will push out enough co2 to evacuate all the air from the fv pretty quickly..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks, both.

North Wales Brewer

Post by North Wales Brewer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

I use a small FV and have no problems :D

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Brulosophy conducted an experiment on this exact thing. Blind tasting results showed that people could tell the difference between beers fermented with low headspace (fermenter full) and high headspace (fermenter half-full). The majority preferred the beer with low headspace.
http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/13/the-im ... t-results/
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

I often run half full, never noticed any difference to the beers that have filled the fv. How big is the headspace on an open fv?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Sadfield wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm
I often run half full, never noticed any difference to the beers that have filled the fv. How big is the headspace on an open fv?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
=D> =D>

They obviously didn't include beer open fermented in the blind tasting.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 pm

i think this is gonna come down to something like volume of beer vs length of fermentation vs airlock or open etc..

..or in other words.. totally subjective to the individuals taste and methods. try it and see..
all that brulosophy experiment really proved was that most people don't put chinook in an english bitter for a good reason.. :roll:

what did you go for in the end OP?
dazzled, doused in gin..

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Sadfield wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm
How big is the headspace on an open fv?
I'm sure 'brulosophy' could conjure up some bullshit to 'answer' that. I get brief, contractile responses of a skeletal muscle every time someone mentions them. They know their bullshit, that's for sure.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

McMullan wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:44 pm
I'm sure 'brulosophy' could conjure up some bullshit to 'answer' that. I get brief, contractile responses of a skeletal muscle every time someone mentions them. They know their bullshit, that's for sure.
This, OP. A well constructed and comprehensive answer to your question, backed up by solid facts. Good thing too because none of us likes to call out a bullshitter :wink:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm

spook100 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm
McMullan wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:44 pm
This, OP. A well constructed and comprehensive answer to your question, backed up by solid facts. Good thing too because none of us likes to call out a bullshitter :wink:
Please, no more 'facts'. WTF are 'facts' anyway, in the context of an experiment? The dim misleading the dim, I'm afraid. Awesome :^o Another contractile response of a skeletal muscle :roll: Don't forget to hit the pay button ,if you feel my bullshit has mislead you sufficiently. Pay for the 'pleasure' =D>