Fermenting Problem

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
sjg0

Fermenting Problem

Post by sjg0 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm

I am fairly new to home brewing. This ia my fourth brew. Previous brews have all gone well. The problem I have is that my brew seems to have stopped fermenting and I do not know why.

I am brewing Coopers English Bitter. I added 500g of Munton Spray Malt (Medium) and the yeast which came with the malt extract. At the start I made a slight mistake and added an extra litre of water (total volume 24l). The brew temperture when adding yeast was 25C. Original gravity 1030. I then left the mixture to ferment. In order to maintain temperture I used a brew belt. the which I left on heating all the time, until I noticed after about two days the the daytime temperture of the brew was reaching 30 C, at this time I switched the time on and used the brew belt during night time hours olnly (The brew is fermenting in my dining room with temperture at about 20C - 22C during day).

It took about two days before I noticed the airlock bubbling. His only lasted for one day, it then appeared to stop fermenting. This was at about the same time with I noticed the 30C temperture. After 4 days I took a gravity. The reading was 1022. I then left it a couple of days. Slight pressure built up in the fermentation bucket. After 6 days I took another gravity reading and again the reading was 1022.

My conclusion is that the brew has stopped fermenting. Can someone tell me if this is the case. Why has this happened and what can I do to resolve the problem (such as can I add more yeast)

Thanks in advance for your help.

BenB

Re: Fermenting Problem

Post by BenB » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Fermentations stalling at 1.020 is a relatively common phenomenon. Lots of causes speculated. ? worth rousing the yeast.

sjg0

Post by sjg0 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go and see how I get on. :D

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 am

Or get more yeast. The wilco beer yeast is pretty good. Remember to hydrate it first.

sjg0

Post by sjg0 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Thank you for the suggestion above. I have now got myself some more yeast from Wilcox. Having not rehydrated yeast before. What's the best way to do this? Thanks

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:35 pm

[quote="sjg0"]Thank you for the suggestion above. I have now got myself some more yeast from Wilcox. Having not rehydrated yeast before. What's the best way to do this? Thanks[/quote]
Half fill a glass with water at about 20c, sprinkle the yeast in and leave for 10 minutes of so then chuck it in.

sjg0

Post by sjg0 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Thank you. I've done as suggested and the beer seems to be fermenting again. Happy days