Tell me about finings

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Tell me about finings

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:27 am

FWIW (I think this may relate to the turd polishing comments), since I started treating my water I have found no need to use finings.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Tell me about finings

Post by orlando » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:21 am

Jambo wrote:FWIW (I think this may relate to the turd polishing comments), since I started treating my water I have found no need to use finings.
Fining commercially relates to speed of getting the product to market. If you get the entire process right at every stage there is no "need" to fine, as time will do its thing. I tend to brew lower ABV beers and want to drink them early and appreciate the aesthetic value of a clear bright pint so fine either in a clean new FV then rack to keg or in the keg/cask. The latter avoids excessive oxygenation and the further risk of contamination but if you are careful the former delivers quicker, with lower ABV I want the clean fresh flavours, particularly hop aroma, to be present straight away. Delaying until the beer is clear runs the risk of a reduction in that facet. I guess what we are saying here is there are circumstances in which you may wish to "correct or speed up so how do you do it, but also that good technique and process should always be driving our hobby.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer