S-05 Attenuattion

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: S-05 Attenuattion

Post by chefgage » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks for all the good advice. I will try rehydrating in future, it certainly makes sense to see if the yeast is ok before pitching

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:50 pm

I rarely get frothing of the rehydrated yeast by the way, without issue. I'm wondering if that's strain dependent? I did notice s-04 did it on a recent brew, but us-05 doesn't for me... not that I can recall! It's not a guide for me, and I've had strong fermentations regardless of that. YMMV
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 am

Just out of interest i did another brew using the same us05 yeast but this time rehydrated it. I have found this yeast takes about 24hours for it to get going but the re-hydrated yeast was on its way in about 12 hours.

I got alot more vigerous fermentation was the re-hydrated yeast, so much in fact i had to remove the bubbler and fit a blow off tube.

Anyway the fermentation completed (got down to 1.009). So my previous problem seems to have sorted itself (well this time anyway). I will certainly be rehydrating in the future :D

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 am

It's good to here your results. And that rehydrating in water was better.

Cheers to a good pint of beer when it's ready :wink:
To Busy To Add,

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:19 am

It's like many little things in brewing that people say you don't need to do.

Yeah, you don't need to... as in you will still make beer without it, but you're making it harder for the beer to be as good as it can be.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:38 am

Wonkydonkey wrote:It's good to here your results. And that rehydrating in water was better.

Cheers to a good pint of beer when it's ready :wink:
I have tried a bottle this, it was a SMaSH using Maris otter and East kent goldings. The early results are very promising (its had a week conditioning). Its got a lovely hop aroma and taste. The taste i could not put my finger on it, so looking at the hop characteristic (from what i have read) the EKG has a citrus/spicy aroma/taste. With this beer the spicey notes are deffinetly there