S-05 Attenuattion

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
chefgage
Hollow Legs

S-05 Attenuattion

Post by chefgage » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:37 pm

I have a small batch of 10l that had an OG of 1.076. It is now at 1.030 and has been for the last two days. If this gravity does not change anymore what are my options.

The tasted sample tastes good. According to the software its apparent attenuation is 60% which if I remember is low for S-05??

The gravity seems a bit high for bottling though right :?:

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: S-05 Attenuattion

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:54 pm

Not that I'm an expert, I would have thought it would go lower, but what temp did you mash at. I have some xmass beer which started off at 1.062 and has been in working away for the last 8 days, the last time I looked and tested the sg. It was a bit high, 1.040 I'm thinking 1.012 will be about right but who knows .ps the mash temp was a bit low 65 going down to 64 maybe 63 over the hr.

I will test it and maybe give it a little stir in a day or to and then leave for another 2 days. But that's my way,! not the best but it's fitting everything in the time I get.
To Busy To Add,

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:59 am

i cannot remember what the mash temperature was. It was whatever beersmith said to mash at. I will have a look on beersmith later and post it up

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:11 am

Did you rehydrate or sprinkle? What % of the grist was adjunct?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:20 am

The yeast was sprinkled and i used 20% adjuncts

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:51 am

chefgage wrote:The yeast was sprinkled and i used 20% adjuncts
Both could have an influence. Chris White, of Whitelabs fame, suggests that sprinkling can kill up to 50% of the yeast, effectively leading to under pitching. Adjuncts can't convert themselves so require the diastatic qualities of malt to do it. At 20% you are pushing this barrier, can't say for sure but with sprinkling as well it might not have helped. There are of course many other reasons to explain it, temperature fluctuations for example, so difficult without knowing precisely what you did to be sure.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for the info. The 20% was split between two different adjuncts. Temperature wise i have no real way of controlling temperature at the minute. The fermenting is done in my kitchen which has a pretty good stable temperature even at night. Seems to be around 20'c +/- a couple of degrees.

Probably put this down to just one of them things that sometimes happens.

Question is what to do with the beer now? Seems a shame to throw it away :(

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Might be worth making a starter? Half a pint of water boiled with 50g DME. Cool, aerate, add new pack of Yeast and then when it reached high krausen (maybe 12 hours) pitch the lot into your under attenuated beer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Jocky wrote:Might be worth making a starter? Half a pint of water boiled with 50g DME. Cool, aerate, add new pack of Yeast and then when it reached high krausen (maybe 12 hours) pitch the lot into your under attenuated beer.
If i can get hold of some dme quickly i will give it a go

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Just add another packet of US05 to finish the job.. And in future always rehydrate, especially on higher gravity beers. I would probably have used 2 packs for that OG. US05 should attenuate around 80-90%

Finally: Was it on the floor? If it was it may be that the floor got cold and caused the yeast to drop out. The floor is often much colder than the room temperature at chest height. Once this happens they don't tend to get going again unless you rouse it up. Try gently rocking the fermenter until the stuff at the bottom resuspends. I tend to put the fermenter on a stool or something these days, if there is no temperature control.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Padalac wrote:Just add another packet of US05 to finish the job.. And in future always rehydrate, especially on higher gravity beers. I would probably have used 2 packs for that OG. US05 should attenuate around 80-90%

Finally: Was it on the floor? If it was it may be that the floor got cold and caused the yeast to drop out. The floor is often much colder than the room temperature at chest height. Once this happens they don't tend to get going again unless you rouse it up. Try gently rocking the fermenter until the stuff at the bottom resuspends. I tend to put the fermenter on a stool or something these days, if there is no temperature control.
I think you'd be lucky to get 80%+ attenuation with 20% adjuncts, which the OP had. I agree about two sachets at that gravity though, and the rehydration.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

stokie_spaceman
Steady Drinker

Post by stokie_spaceman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:24 am

Not sure you'd need two packets on a 10 l batch even at that gravity, but I'd always recommend rehydration. Sprinkling works people argue and then something like this happens and you're left wondering if you gave it the best opportunity to start with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:11 am

stokie_spaceman wrote:Not sure you'd need two packets on a 10 l batch even at that gravity, but I'd always recommend rehydration. Sprinkling works people argue and then something like this happens and you're left wondering if you gave it the best opportunity to start with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Quite right on the 10L - I'd missed that.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 am

Sprinkling works, but it's not stacking the deck in your favour.

Rehydration also gives you an indicator that your yeast packet is ok or not. If it foams up within 30 minutes then the yeast is probably fine. If it sinks to the bottom of your water and stays there then you have a problem.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando

Post by orlando » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:07 pm

What "sprinklers" don't take into account is they are sprinkling into wort, rehydration is always with water not wort or DME. When yeast is first hydrated it cannot control osmosis properly until the cell wall membranes are properly up and running. Don't forget temperature too, pitch when yeast and wort are as close in temperature as practical,<3 c difference is preferable.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: