Stuck fermentation

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Stuck fermentation

Post by tourer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Can anyone see any none fermentables here 19 litres OG 1090. Why you may ask, it's been in the fermenter since Wed 21st Dec, Friday the Krausen hit the lid i'd only got youngs Ale yeast to work with, Saturday it dropped back it appears stuck on tuesday at 1059, Wednesday pitched M29 Saison yeast which started the fermentation again, sunday down to 1050, monday still 1050 now i'm stuck. any suggestions please.
Pale malt
crystal
carawheat
Oats
Black malt
Hops
Chocolate Malt
Honey
Black syrup
Jaggery
Glace Cherries
raisins
figs (dried)
Orange peel
Irish Moss
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
fresh Ginger
Almond

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Stuck fermentation

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 pm

tourer,
The Yeast read the Shopping List before you put them in and they promptly jumped out and flew away! :D
They do fly, don`t they? Wild Yeast are able to fly because they can infect your Beer! =D>

WA

:D :D

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 am

Was the Young's yeast 5g? If so you underpitched. Any new yeast will also struggle especially if you don't rehydrate. I'd make a starter and pitch it at high Krausen. This will be the best way to get it going again.

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:22 pm

WalesAles wrote:tourer,
The Yeast read the Shopping List before you put them in and they promptly jumped out and flew away! :D
They do fly, don`t they? Wild Yeast are able to fly because they can infect your Beer! =D>

WA

:D :D
NOooooooooooooooooo,--------------we have a no fly zone here so it can't be that :lol:

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:32 pm

rpt wrote:Was the Young's yeast 5g? If so you underpitched. Any new yeast will also struggle especially if you don't rehydrate. I'd make a starter and pitch it at high Krausen. This will be the best way to get it going again.
I mostly use 2 packs of any dried yeast and when i have it, i make a starter with the previous brews runoff/dregs from the mash (frozen of course) and the youngs took off like a rocket for about 2 days. Checked with Hydrometer today it's down to 1012. From i've read it can go down quite low about 1005 so i'm going to leave it stew for another week. I think it will need fining as it looks like mud at the moment.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:09 am

tourer wrote:
rpt wrote:Was the Young's yeast 5g? If so you underpitched. Any new yeast will also struggle especially if you don't rehydrate. I'd make a starter and pitch it at high Krausen. This will be the best way to get it going again.
I mostly use 2 packs of any dried yeast and when i have it, i make a starter with the previous brews runoff/dregs from the mash (frozen of course) and the youngs took off like a rocket for about 2 days. Checked with Hydrometer today it's down to 1012. From i've read it can go down quite low about 1005 so i'm going to leave it stew for another week. I think it will need fining as it looks like mud at the moment.
You haven't mentioned fermentation temperature. Can I take it you have adjusted it for the Saison yeast, they ferment a lot higher than your average ale yeast?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:00 pm

[

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:13 pm

chefgage wrote:[
:shock:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:11 pm

orlando wrote:
I like to be helpfull :)

I wrote something then changed my mind but could not see how to delete my post, I guess you carnt

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:34 pm

chefgage wrote:
orlando wrote:

I wrote something then changed my mind but could not see how to delete my post, I guess you carnt
Do you not have a little x next to the quote and edit buttons? If so click on that next time.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 pm

"
Do you not have a little x next to the quote and edit buttons? If so click on that next time.
Nope, no little x

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:24 pm

orlando wrote:
tourer wrote:
You haven't mentioned fermentation temperature. Can I take it you have adjusted it for the Saison yeast, they ferment a lot higher than your average ale yeast?
Yes orlando, and i've been fighting to keep the temperature up I think a fan might be a big help. They call it a farmhouse yeast, all i can say is farmers must have kept the fermenting bucket by the fire :) .

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:33 pm

chefgage wrote:
orlando wrote:

chefgage, if i change my mind about a post i click the back button to the previous forum page. Not had a problem yet.
good luck

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 pm

You probably can't delete a post if someone has replied. Actually, I can't see anywhere to delete it at all.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 am

I haven't tried to ferment a fruit cake myself :lol: