Stuck fermentation

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
McMullan

Re: Stuck fermentation

Post by McMullan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 am

Might look like this http://maidstone-magazine.co.uk/christm ... ke-recipe/ when it's finished? :lol:

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:56 am

rpt wrote:You probably can't delete a post if someone has replied. Actually, I can't see anywhere to delete it at all.
Maybe it is only available to Mods.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:29 pm

orlando wrote: Maybe it is only available to Mods.
orlando,
You Mods get all the Posh gear! #-o
None of us Rockers get anything! :D

WA

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 am

WalesAles wrote:
orlando wrote: Maybe it is only available to Mods.
orlando,
You Mods get all the Posh gear! #-o
None of us Rockers get anything! :D

WA
Quite right too, kiss my well shod feet. 8)

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:16 am

tourer wrote:Can anyone see any none fermentables here 19 litres OG 1090. Why you may ask, it's been in the fermenter since Wed 21st Dec, Friday the Krausen hit the lid i'd only got youngs Ale yeast to work with, Saturday it dropped back it appears stuck on tuesday at 1059, Wednesday pitched M29 Saison yeast which started the fermentation again, sunday down to 1050, monday still 1050 now i'm stuck. any suggestions please.
Pale malt
crystal
carawheat
Oats
Black malt
Hops
Chocolate Malt
Honey
Black syrup
Jaggery
Glace Cherries
raisins
figs (dried)
Orange peel
Irish Moss
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
fresh Ginger
Almond

With that lot it's probably got severe indigestion =D> =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:18 am

IPA wrote:
tourer wrote:Can anyone see any none fermentables here 19 litres OG 1090. Why you may ask, it's been in the fermenter since Wed 21st Dec, Friday the Krausen hit the lid i'd only got youngs Ale yeast to work with, Saturday it dropped back it appears stuck on tuesday at 1059, Wednesday pitched M29 Saison yeast which started the fermentation again, sunday down to 1050, monday still 1050 now i'm stuck. any suggestions please.
Pale malt
crystal
carawheat
Oats
Black malt
Hops
Chocolate Malt
Honey
Black syrup
Jaggery
Glace Cherries
raisins
figs (dried)
Orange peel
Irish Moss
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
fresh Ginger
Almond

With that lot it's probably got severe indigestion =D> =D>
When I first saw that list I thought it was what was in the cupboard. :D

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Well it's dropped a bit farther, so into the secondary today and temperature dropped down to 2C. Finings in a couple of days time. leave for a few days then see if i can make some bottle bombs. :roll:
I took some temperature readings of the outside of the brew fridge using one of those laser type guns: the brewshed temperature was 3C, fridge sides 5.3C, door 5.3C, TOP 7.2C wow. So i dropped a piece of polystyrene on the top which i think helped as the temperature in the fridge went up about 3C overnight. The insulation must be really poor so i may have to look at insulating the outside of the fridge. Anybody else had these problems? Just a thought, it's probably a good idea to check your own fridges.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 pm

McMullan wrote:Might look like this http://maidstone-magazine.co.uk/christm ... ke-recipe/ when it's finished? :lol:
McMullan, you'll all be laughing on other side of your face when i sell this recipe to coors or some other big conglomorate :lol: Their adverts will read, you too could be drinking shite like this if you brew your own, so come on in and have a Budwieser. \:D/

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Are you sure those temperatures are correct? Have you allowed for the emissivity of the surfaces?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 pm

tourer wrote:
McMullan wrote:Might look like this http://maidstone-magazine.co.uk/christm ... ke-recipe/ when it's finished? :lol:
McMullan, you'll all be laughing on other side of your face when i sell this recipe to coors or some other big conglomorate :lol: Their adverts will read, you too could be drinking shite like this if you brew your own, so come on in and have a Budwieser. \:D/
:lol: If you want to brew a big 'fruit cake' stout, focus mainly on grains, hops and yeast :wink:

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Wiil these ferment (or do they contain significant simple sugars accessible to the yeast??)

Pale malt
YES!
crystal
Somewhat
carawheat
Somewhat
Oats
NO

Black malt
NO
Hops
NO
Chocolate Malt
NO
Honey
YES
Black syrup
mollasses? Somewhat, more unfermentable complex sugars without a google im guessing 60/40??
Jaggery
Dunno what it is?
Glace Cherries
The Glace, sure, But will need a lot of crushing
raisins
again Yes if ground to a paste, the skins will hamper access to the sugars if just dumped in
figs (dried)
Ditto
Orange peel
NO
Irish Moss
NO
Cinnamon
NO
Nutmeg
NO
fresh Ginger
NO
Almond
NO
To the best of my recollection..

How much malt did you use and whats the expected OG of a brew with just your grain bill ? that should give you an accurate estimate of how much of the fruit cakes OG can be fermented off.

A very easy and rough test to see if you can mash and then ferment something is to pop some in your mouth and chew, Once broken down Hamster it in a cheek for a few minutes, (longer the better) and if after the hamster you can detect any more sweetness or if it became sweet while hamstering, its a good indicator that the amylase in the mash will extract the same sweetness as the amylase in your mouth did.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(