Fermentation/Conditioning temperature profiles

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
chris246810

Fermentation/Conditioning temperature profiles

Post by chris246810 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 pm

I have a couple of the stc1000 temperature controllers which I've modified with the stc1000+ firmware, which can automatically adjust the temperature over time according to the preset profiles (programmed on laptop then sent to controller)

Just wanted to share my current profile to see what people think and get any suggestions for improvement.

19c for 10 days (primary)
Slowly ramp up to 22c over 4 days (to help the yeast to finish up)
Crash chill to 2c (to help yeast settle to the bottom)
Hold 2c until bottling (anywhere from 5 - 21 days)

I've found the beer takes a bit longer to carbonate the longer I leave it before bottling, as more yeast has dropped out I presume.

Once bottled I put back in a fridge with the temperature controller off until it reaches room temperature, then

Ramp to 19c over 24 hours
Hold at 19c for 5 days
Crash to 1c
Hold 1c for 5 days
Ramp to 13c over 24 hours
Hold 13c until drinking or moving into beer crates at room temperature

How does this sound, am I doing anything incorrectly here or are there any improvements you could suggest.
I've done 4 batches of AG beer now using these profiles and have been impressed with the quality of the the beer I'm producing so can't be doing anything too wrong.

I would highly recommend the stc update, only a slight increase in price due to the extra few bits needed to flash it, it only works on a certain version though so you may need to buy a new one rather than updating the one you already have if it isn't compatible

Incase you haven't seen it here's the link
https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p/b ... /README.md

Lochlannach
Sober

Re: Fermentation/Conditioning temperature profiles

Post by Lochlannach » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 pm

OT I know, but would you have a link to the flashable STCs by any chance?

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 am

Lochlannach wrote:OT I know, but would you have a link to the flashable STCs by any chance?
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/2004466 ... siteDetail

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 am

As above, I've bought a few from there to play about with, I did flash one with the ovbsc firmware but not going to bother with that now, got a smartpid on the way so will be trying that instead.

Lochlannach
Sober

Post by Lochlannach » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks lads. Been looking to get one but it's hard to identify the good ones.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:06 pm

I start the yeast at the bottom end or slightly below the bottom end of the recommended temp range. I hold it there for 3 days, then gradually raise it to the upper end. Once fermentation has completed, I tend to give the yeast about 5 days to tidy up, then cold crash 24-48 hours before I plan to bottle.

For saisons I start at 18/19c for 3 days, then ramp 2c each day until I hit 28c, then hold for 14 days, then (assuming readings have showed fermentation is complete), I crash and bottle.

Rad

Post by Rad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

STC plus can be programmed with it's own buttons, I plan to replace mine with a BrewPiLess controller. The rough cost is about the same.

Creating profiles will not be easy as they'll depend the yeast used and beer style. Then timing is also dependant on how well the yeast takes off. I don't think there will be a silver bullet here. None the less I shall watch this thread closely :)

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 am

chris246810 wrote:?..got a smartpid on the way so will be trying that instead.
On a fridge?

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:31 pm

No, was going to try the stc ovbsc for controlling my biab brew system but got the smartpid now and it's pretty good so will be using that from now on

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:01 pm

chris246810 wrote:Just wanted to share my current profile to see what people think and get any suggestions for improvement.

19c for 10 days (primary)
Slowly ramp up to 22c over 4 days (to help the yeast to finish up)
Crash chill to 2c (to help yeast settle to the bottom)
Hold 2c until bottling (anywhere from 5 - 21 days)

I've found the beer takes a bit longer to carbonate the longer I leave it before bottling, as more yeast has dropped out I presume.
Once bottled I put back in a fridge with the temperature controller off until it reaches room temperature, then

Ramp to 19c over 24 hours
Hold at 19c for 5 days
Crash to 1c
Hold 1c for 5 days
Ramp to 13c over 24 hours
Hold 13c until drinking or moving into beer crates at room temperature

How does this sound, am I doing anything incorrectly here or are there any improvements you could suggest.
There are almost endless options and preferences, but as a generic plan for ale yeast that doesn't seem unreasonable. Though aside from a short period for priming, you're more or less keeping the beer cold or cool after the end of fermentation; you could consider adding more of a maturation stage (for beers that benefit from a bit of maturation) at room temperature to speed up the process. This is distinct from priming, and may take longer - or some would prefer to do it in bulk (e.g. a secondary fermenter or keg) before bottling.

Don't get 'too' hung up on a standard approach though. When and what things happen should primarily be in response to the effects you are trying to create and progress of the fermentation + subsequent stages. These differ according to many things - such as yeast strain, the character you want from it, pitching rate, yeast health, OG, wort quality, beer style, dry hopping etc.
Kev