Sulphurous odours during primary

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Sir-Rooty

Sulphurous odours during primary

Post by Sir-Rooty » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:57 am

Hi guys,

I did a brew day at end of last week for a new recipe and pitched a WLP051 Californian starter made from a reclaimed slurry from a brew in November plus two fresh packs I had approaching their best before dates. Primary has been proceeding as expected with high krausen within 48hrs but there has been a noticeable smell almost from the start that I have not had from any other brews - an almost sulphurous I'd say. Does this suggest I have an infection or has anyone had this side effect with this yeast before but it should be ok?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Sulphurous odours during primary

Post by Jocky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am

It's pretty normal for a lot of yeasts to produce that during fermentation. It rarely carries into the beer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Jocky wrote:It's pretty normal for a lot of yeasts to produce that during fermentation. It rarely carries into the beer.
I used S-34/70 to ferment a cider that smelled something awful and there's not a hint of it in the final product.
I'm just here for the beer.

Sir-Rooty

Post by Sir-Rooty » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Phew thanks fella's =D>