fermenter bucket recommendation

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
scot_beer

fermenter bucket recommendation

Post by scot_beer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Looking to upgrade to larger brews after first successful first small brew. Considering a 30-33litre to allow space to brew typical 40pint cans. ideally don't want to use a syphon so considering one with a tap that accepts a bottling wand. Anyone got any recommendations of ones that don't leak and have firm lids?

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Re: fermenter bucket recommendation

Post by StrontiumDog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 am

Just get yourself a normal fermenting bucket from your LHBS, drill a hole and fit a spigot yourself. It's really easy. Use some lubricating gel on the spigot washers to ensure a nice seal and you're laughing (you can use Vaseline but it does degrade the rubber seals) 30 litre works nicely for normal 5 gallon brews. I had a slightly smaller one that was still recommended for 5 gal but the krausen would force the lid off and over spill so make sure you get one with enough room between your brew and the lid. Like I said though, 30-33 litre is fine. And make sure you put it at the right height to maximise how much you get out your FV whilst leaving all you trub.

I personally have gone back to a fermenting bucket without a spigot as I was seeing a lot of air caught in the spigot and wasn't sure how good that was for my brew. When I'm not kegging I still rack to a bottling bucket (my old smaller 5 gal bucket) that has a spigot and bottling wand attached so that I can batch prime but it's not my favourite way to do things (time, mess etc)

If you want to make life easier, get some corneys.

Hope this has helped a bit......

Jase

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rad

Post by Rad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am

I use 33l buckets with white spigots just like the ones malt miller sells. I fitted the spigot as close to the bottom as I could. The sediment trap works great. Leave it hole side up for primary and hole side down for secondary. I use a silicone hose when transferring to avoid splashing and I never noticed it drawing any air. Never had an oxidised beer either.

I put the seal on the outside of the bucket and tighten by hand. I don't lube the seal, just put it on straight from the starsan bucket. I never had a spigot leak. The lids can be hit and miss. I have one bucket that leaks gas so bad that there's no activity in the blow off tube. While I know it's not really a problem I still avoid using it if I can. I like the bubbles. None of the other 4 buckets I have noticeable leaks. Get 2 buckets with spigots if you do one brew at a time or 3 if you want to run 2 at the same time.

That spigot works great with a bottling wand btw.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 am

I use the Speidel fermenter with chrome tap upgrade and love it. There are many third party attachments as well such as triclover fittings that I haven't looked into yet.
The lid screws on and is very quick and easy to remove, I use an airlock so I know it is very airtight. If I don't want to use an airlock I use a foam bung.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Rad

Post by Rad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:28 am

I have a 60l speidel I used for other brewing. It's a great stuff but expensive. I used a second tap at the top with a tube as a blow off. Worked like a charm.