Fermenting In Cornie Keg

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Fermenting In Cornie Keg

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I had some vouchers from a comp I won, so finally ordered myself a Cornie setup, and also intend to buy a beer gun, as I like variety in drinking from having a range of bottles. The main reason for all this is I want to move to an oxygen free setup at post fermentation, and have tighter control over carbonation. Thought it would be interesting to add a spunding valve to the order and try fermenting and simultaneously carbonating in the keg. Anyone currently do, or have tried this?

Rad

Re: Fermenting In Cornie Keg

Post by Rad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

I tried that in the past and it was no picnic. Kegs are tall and narrow so you need to leave a lot of head space. If you have vigorous krausen, it'll still run out and clog the gas outlet. Drawing a sample is pain as well. Then there's washing it after. The krousen rings are hard to get off at best of times, now imagine cleaning it off when you can barely get you hand in.

It does get easier in the secondary and I know there are ways to alleviate the problems I mentioned so I'll be interested in hearing what experiences others had.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:46 am

Cheers, good points. I Was thinking of using standard fv and then dropping into cornie say at 50% attenuation, yeast should then consume any oxygen and this would also reduce trub and krausen problems. My understanding is that the pressure should reduce/limit the krausen, so may try starting at a higher pressure and then dial back to serving levels of carbonation.

Surely taking a sample is achievable by adding a party tap to the output and letting headspace pressure push the beer out, or maybe swapping the spunding valve for gas line?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 am

Except you'll be pulling up yeast unless you shorten the dip tube. However there are many new lid attachments etc. and kegs designed for fermenting and then serving.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm

All very possible, i use modified din kegs. and with cornies easy to switch discos to do different things. Max capacity might be 12-15l unless you hook up a burton union system to the discos.. :wink:
Pbw takes care of the cleaning, though you should be able to get enough into a corny to reach the krausen?
dazzled, doused in gin..

Norik
Piss Artist

Post by Norik » Fri May 05, 2017 9:37 pm

I've read that Fermcap helps when fermenting in a keg to keep the krausen down.
Litany For Beer
I must drink the Beer.
Beer is the mind-killer.
Beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Beer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the Beer has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Hitchens's Razor:
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."