HEATER BELT TEMP

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
gus

HEATER BELT TEMP

Post by gus » Tue May 16, 2017 9:15 pm

i decided to put the digi temp probe between the belt and the ferment bucket , after 5 mins the temp read 70 c , this seems way to hot, and prob why my razor back ipa turned out with a tcp taste as i left it and did not realise how high the temp had got, maybe the belt has to go.does anyone else reach this temp?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: HEATER BELT TEMP

Post by Kev888 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:28 pm

The common heater belts aren't regulated, so the temperature will reach whatever it can. But the temperature at the belt will be warmer than the temperature inside the FV, especially if you moved the belt slightly away from the FV to measure (as that part of the belt would not then be cooled by the FV/wort). Provided local heating isn't excessive, it is the temperature of the fermenting wort that matters.

Though it depends on the belt and your readings did seem very high. The one I had decades ago from a UK retailer was 25watts and provided only gentle heat, some these days are double that and I even saw a chinese one at 95watts - IMO this is excessive for most purposes and too high in terms of watt-density (local hot spots). Insulating over them can be unfortunate too; I've seen pictures of foam insulation having melted.

If you aren't controlling the temperature of your fermenting wort then yes, it could become too warm; overly warm fermentations can cause unpleasant flavours. Also, if the heat belt was too low and warming the sediment then that too can result in unpleasant flavours. But TCP flavours are a classic sign of chlorine (either in the water or from insufficient rinsing after bleach cleaning), or sometimes infection.
Kev

gus

Post by gus » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 pm

you are rite ,i took the wort temp inside the fermenter and it read 23.6 c , so alot cooler inside the liquid, its a quick turbo of the tropical fruit and a carton of apple juice, while my other brews condition, i have invested in a 60 watt tube heater of ebay, then the inkbird later,so onwards and upwards cheers .

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Sounds like a definite improvement. However good the brew, it is reliant on the fermentation being reasonably well controlled for a good result. Even 23c seems rather high by ale standards, but I don't know what is acceptable for turbo cider.
Kev

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 pm

might just get away with it on a tc, i prefer mine at 18 -20 c using wilko's yeast