Fermented down to 0.992

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
scotsloon
Piss Artist

Fermented down to 0.992

Post by scotsloon » Sun May 21, 2017 7:22 pm

I just bottled a brew this afternoon. It was a pale imitation of a J.W.Lees Moonraker. I didn't have the required 7.2Kg of Pale Malt for a 23L batch so made do with 18L and used 4.3Kg. The brew day went well and I pitched a 2nd generation recovered yeast from a couple of bottles of Proper Job. The fermentation went well but as I got tied up in emptying my mum's flat after she moved into sheltered housing I left the brew under an airlock for a couple of weeks past its end point. When I checked the SG today when bottling it was down to 0.992.

I've never seen a beer ferment down that low before has anybody else? I checked the SG with 3 different hydrometers and they all gave 0.992 at a temp of 20Deg C.

RobP

Re: Fermented down to 0.992

Post by RobP » Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 pm

No, never happened to me and shouldn't really happen at all. My initial thought is you have something in addition to beer yeast in there. Such as Brett or bacteria that have consumed all the sugars in your beer. How does it taste and smell?

I can't find anything on the net that suggests the yeast in Proper Job bottles isn't pure yeast.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Yeah, should have mentioned thanks for the reminder Rob - taste and smell are fine. I drank the content of the Hydrometer jar about 600mL, tasted pretty good.

RobP

Post by RobP » Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 pm

You'd expect the end product to be overly dry and lacking in character but who knows eh?

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Only way you could go that low is a bacteria infection. If it tastes ok try a new hydrometer as that reading isn't normal