Mangrove Jacks French Saison yeast

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
BackO'Th'Shed

Mangrove Jacks French Saison yeast

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Picked up a pack of this from the LHBS the other week as it was the only saison yeast they had in. Pitched it in a batch that I brewed at the weekend and really impressed so far. 1.056 down to 1.004 in 3 days and lots of fruity esters. I had planned to finish with Brett that I have sat in the fridge, but there's probably not much left for the Brett to feed on. First taste from the trial jar is very promising.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Re: Mangrove Jacks French Saison yeast

Post by super_simian » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Yeah, it's not bad hey? A bit more acidic than Belle Saison, with less fruit. Watch yourself if you're bottle conditioning though, it always wants to overcarb.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 pm

I brewed a split batch to compare this MJ yeast and the Belle Saison and I prefer the MJ. Ramped it up to 28 degrees over a few days and it attenuated really well.

Really nice flavour profile and probably my best beer yet!

Digby

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks for the info - I'm kegging this one, but I'll bear that in mind. I was originally looking for the Belle Saison yeast, but the LHBS only had the French Saison so decided to give it a go. This is my first saison so I have nothing to compare against. Has anyone had any experience of the other Mangrove Jacks yeasts? Reviews generally seem to be good from what I've seen.

I generally use liquid yeast and harvest/re-use so used to quick fermentation times with the right conditions, but this was something else. I'll give it another week or so before crash cooling and transferring to keg.

Just ordered a couple of yeasts from Brewlab (Thwaites and Old Speckled Hen strains) - looking forward to trying these on my next few brews.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:04 am

I've never had a problem with any MJ yeast. The MJ27 Belgian Ale was good for Saison. I have a smack-pack of 3711 I'll be using next but would like to try the MJ one too at some point to compare.
I liked the MJ27 as it didn't require a long period of conditioning like the French strains which are quite acidic and thin at first.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:30 pm

IMHO the difference between MJ and Belle Saison are minimal; very very close to one another. The super low FG leads me to believe they are both probably var. diastaticus.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:11 am

The first (and currently only) saison yeast I've used (M29 - the French version). I was a bit surprised to get a FG of 0.998, just not the realms of beer at all. Had bottles for Christmas breakfast (!) in place of the usual Champagne, and still got some hanging about. It's kegged, but I find it convenient to bottle it (with one of them "Pegas" taps). Esters? Possibly, but what really hits is the bone dry nature of it (and heavy carbonation).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:00 am

Dropped a few more points to 1.001 and currently crash cooling. I too ramped up to 28C - maybe that's where I'm getting the esters from? Tastes great out of the FV though. I was attempting a gin & tonic inspired saison. The juniper is definitely there, but a few of the other more subtle flavours are a bit overwhelmed by the esters. I'm really pleased with the attenuation - I was hoping for a nice dry finish to fit with the G&T idea.