Temps and times

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Temps and times

Post by Manngold » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 am

Hi all,

I am hoping to brew quite a few brews over the next few weeks, but only have enough space for a single FV in my FV fridge at a time. I normally leave each FV two weeks for the yeast to do its thing.

How much will it impact the final beer if I control the firsts week temp but not the second? Am I right in thinking it is more important to have the optimum temp control in the first few days?

Thanks

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Temps and times

Post by Jocky » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 am

Yes, you can do that as long as you're not brewing anything mega strong or a lager.

For ales the first 72 hours is most critical to avoid the creation of fusel 'hot' alcohols. The bulk of fermentation will be done a couple of days after that and then you just need to keep the temperature warm enough to let everything finish up.

Lower strength lagers might also be achievable with a temperature ramp based upon attenuation. e.g. Start at 12c and then up by 2c at 50%, 75% and 90% of expected attenuation - that should get you done enough in a week to the point that room temperature is not an issue.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Getting your fermentation off to a nice healthy start , with a good pitch, will really help your cause here too

RobP

Post by RobP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:16 pm

if you're in a rush for some reason you can have drinkable beer in ten days or so If you brew a fairly low gravity beer (1.035 bitter or something like that) and package in a Pressure Barrel. 4-5 days fermentation then do the rest in the barrel (primed and fined). Might not be the best beer you ever drank but hey-ho!

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks all. I just want to get as many brews under my belt as I can to replenish my stock. I thought I had read somewhere that it would be the first few days as the most important. All beers will use 04 or 05 Safale yeasts.

Thanks

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:12 pm

You thought right, Manngold, the first day or two of fermentation is where temp control can matter. Once vigorous primary wanes (day 3 at the most), you can remove an FV from the chamber without impacting the quality of the end product.. I've been juggling this myself lately, using the chamber for high temps to finish saisons. Now you're gonna run of FVs :lol:

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 pm

with an og in the region of 1055, in a brewfridge S-04 at 19C should complete primary within 4-5 days anyway, just hydrate the yeast in warm (20c ish) sterile water prior to pitching..

so get a couple of those on first and after 10 days the fridge should be free for longer cooler us-05 brew ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:04 pm

I'd rehydrate in 40ish *C sterile water, if I were using dried yeast. Sorry, Fil :wink:

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks all. Great advice as usual.