Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
super_simian
Piss Artist

Re: Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Post by super_simian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:39 pm

This idea that saison is meant to be tart is a bit odd really - none of the authentic examples I've had are "tart" as such, but rather bone dry w/ a 'tang'.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Re: Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Post by wolfenrook » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:03 pm

super_simian wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:39 pm
This idea that saison is meant to be tart is a bit odd really - none of the authentic examples I've had are "tart" as such, but rather bone dry w/ a 'tang'.
My understanding is that "French Saison" is slightly tart (most "French Saison" yeasts say so.. lol), where "Belgian Saison" isn't (again, going by "Belgian Saison" yeasts). Daft given they're both Belgian styles....

Oh, the other differences I have read are : French = citrus + enhances spices, Belgian = bumblegum.

I've only made "French Saison" style, as that's what the dried yeasts tend to beer. The Belgian Saison yeasts tend to be liquid, and only just getting the kit together to make starters relatively easily.

M29 French Saison produced a very slightly tart (only slight though) saison, with hints of lemon from the yeast, when I used it. I used black pepper and coriander seeds too, but can't say I could detect much spice, but then I used Amarillo and Mosaic hops, which are a bit strong so probably masked any that was there.

As to authentic examples, no such thing to my mind. Saison was historically made by farmers for seasonal workers to drink. Kinda like saying an authentic example of a farmhouse ale.... Which is exactly what Saisons are an example of. Truth is, none of us are making actual authentic Saison, nor are the commercial producers, not really. Heck, I don't even live in Belgium, let alone on a farm... lol Nor do I do a step mash, etc etc...