Springer Filters

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Brewing in Brittany

Springer Filters

Post by Brewing in Brittany » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi

Anybody out there use a springer filter in their kettle?

I have a springer filter for a Braumeister which I plan to use with hop pellets in a spider,whole hops would clog it up I think.

Should I use Protofloc/Irish Moss? I read somewhere that their use is not recommended [-X because the coagulated protein blocks the filter.

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Springer Filters

Post by IPA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Brewing in Brittany wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:08 pm
Hi

I have a springer filter for a Braumeister which I plan to use with hop pellets in a spider,whole hops would clog it up I think.

Should I use Protofloc/Irish Moss? I read somewhere that their use is not recommended [-X because the coagulated protein blocks the filter.

They are brilliant in a BM. Especially with leaf hops. One important thing to remember is that you need a drop of 80 cm into the FV in order that they work correctly. With that length of drop it will empty a 20 litre BM leaving only one litre behind without tipping. With the 50 litre it leaves two litres. Incidentally it works better WITHOUT tipping. How do I know? I have both.
Edit I use Protofloc.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 pm
Hi

They are brilliant in a BM. Especially with leaf hops. One important thing to remember is that you need a drop of 80 cm into the FV in order that they work correctly. With that length of drop it will empty a 20 litre BM leaving only one litre behind without tipping. With the 50 litre it leaves two litres. Incidentally it works better WITHOUT tipping. How do I know? I have both.
Edit I use Protofloc. That drop is the straight hose length

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Maldon John
Steady Drinker

Post by Maldon John » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 pm

+1 to the above. I think it's an excellent bit of kit, although a lot of people struggle with it.The length of the siphon/ drop really is the key to an successful gravity drain with the springer filter.My siphon drop is about 850mmfor my 20litre BM. I usually use a mixture of leaf( early) hops and loose pellets( late) plus protofloc.

Brewing in Brittany

Post by Brewing in Brittany » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 pm
IPA wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 pm
Hi

Edit I use Protofloc. That drop is the straight hose length
Would you use a hop spider, or is there no need?
Yec'hed Mat!

another nice mess

Post by another nice mess » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am

Conversely, I've had nothing but trouble with the springer filter! No amount of head on the exit pipe seems to make a difference, the filter just slows down and stops after a few litres in spite of lack of loose material in the wort. To get it to work I had to buy one of those cheap pumps, for which I am very grateful.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:52 am

another nice mess wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am
Conversely, I've had nothing but trouble with the springer filter! No amount of head on the exit pipe seems to make a difference, the filter just slows down and stops after a few litres in spite of lack of loose material in the wort. To get it to work I had to buy one of those cheap pumps, for which I am very grateful.
I suspect your problem might be that the your Springer itself is clogged. It does need to be cleaned with a brush both outside and inside. Using a pump actually drags more debris through the "spring". Also I use a plate chiller so the wort passing through the Springer is always above 90 degrees C and is therefore more fluid.

Alone we travel faster