Cold crash

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Cold crash

Post by robbarwell » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 am

I've got a beer currently cold crashing at 4degrees..can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt put gelatin in now or am I better advised to wait until I've got it in a keg?

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Cold crash

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am

If you put it in now, you will transfer less sediment to keg.

There might be a slight oxidation risk depending on your setup.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:14 pm

robbarwell wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 am
I've got a beer currently cold crashing at 4degrees..can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt put gelatin in now or am I better advised to wait until I've got it in a keg?
You should have fined it before transfer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 am

Is Biofine Clear available from home brew suppliers in the UK?
It's a solution of silicic acid and just a couple of teaspoons added to the keg before transfer will give you this.
In two days.

Biofine 5.jpg
Gelatine, added to the keg, can give you a "fluffy bottoms" where the beer drops bright but the sediment can billow up if the keg is moved. Biofine doesn't do that, it settles firmly and, in the case of cold crashing, that's when it comes into its own as it works best at low temperatures.
Attachments
Biofine 7.jpg

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:03 am

I used something called 'Clear-It' in the UK. Comprised of 2 solutions, added separately. The first one was silicic acid and the second one was gelatine, if I remember right. Worked well in secondary.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 am

Bribie wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 am
Is Biofine Clear available from home brew suppliers in the UK?
It's a solution of silicic acid and just a couple of teaspoons added to the keg before transfer will give you this.
In two days.

Biofine 5.jpg

Gelatine, added to the keg, can give you a "fluffy bottoms" where the beer drops bright but the sediment can billow up if the keg is moved. Biofine doesn't do that, it settles firmly and, in the case of cold crashing, that's when it comes into its own as it works best at low temperatures.
There's a discussion on that here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78899

It seems it's also known as keiselsol and is available under that name (trade name?) from at least one UK HB shop - https://www.home-brew-hopshop.co.uk/win ... -1850.html .

I'm sure I've used that stuff in wine kits before as one stage of the 2 part fining process.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 pm

First the disclaimer; I tend to be cheap (read that thrifty) and lazy (efficient). Anyhow, what I have been doing is racking my beer out of primary into a glass carboy to get the major gunk out of it. I then at some point (whenever I get around to it) drop the temperature to lagering and drop about a teaspoonful of unflavored gelatin dissolved in water which I heat in a microwave to about 170F (to avoid infecting the beer). This takes me all of about 2 minutes and the cost of ingredients here in the states is mere pennies plus the gelatin is easy to find in the grocery store. The beer ends up crystal clear, just like filtering except easier and cheaper plus you don't mess up the mouthfeel by filtering too fine. I have not noticed any decrease in hop bitterness, flavor or aroma either. The only downside is that I guess to a vegan doing that would be verbotten but hey, if God didn't want man to eat meat he should not have made it taste so good, right?
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 pm

I gelatined the FV...still like a muddy puddle so going to transfer to keg and add more gelatin

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 am

Time and patience gave me this...
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1193.JPG

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Of course you are correct, generally speaking if you wait long enough you end up getting really clear beer (depending a lot on which strain of yeast you are using). If however you want to speed things up I go to the gelatin. Most British strains are pretty good at dropping clear pretty quickly but some of the German stuff can take forever and hey, I have a production schedule to keep. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:13 pm

whacked it onto chill for 5 days at 1-3 degrees and added gelatin. yeast dropped out quite well but needed another dose when it went into kegs. Its dropping bright now in the kegs