Insulation for crash cooler

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Tomp
Steady Drinker

Insulation for crash cooler

Post by Tomp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm in the process of building a secondary bin / crash cooling unit with a Maxi 310 and a SS Brewtech Brewbucket. Heating is already solved with a tube heater and an ink bird.

I intend to wrap silicone tubing around the bucket and tape it in place and use the recirc pump to drop the temperature down by running cold water round the outside as a 'jacket'.

Aim is to get the beer down to around 3 to 4 c. It will sit in an insulated wooden box.

What insulation have others used to keep the heat out? I was think of this or similar?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-airtec-r ... GQodYJwEJA
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Re: Insulation for crash cooler

Post by Heron1952 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm

The air bubbles in the wrap will provide some insulation. But to work like 50mm polystyrene then both shiny surfaces must be facing an enclosed air space, I.e. Not in contact much with anything and not so much airspace to allow air movement or convection currents. If you are putting things in a box like a fermentation fridge, then I'd use polystyrene, preferably kingspan or celotex as that is closed cell and won't absorb water. But remember some types can be flammable!!!
aka Rhys

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 pm

For my fermentation chamber in the garage I used 50mm celotex from Wickes which can be bought in sheets that will fit in a car.

It does a decent job of keeping the FC at 20C whether it's -5C in the garage with a 1ft greenhouse tube heater and 30C using a little semiconductor refridgerator:

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks. Should have said the chamber is already lined with foam - but this isn't reflective. Should have gone for reflective but I had lots of insulation kicking around.

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Armaflex is best. Not cheap though, and you will want to use insulation on the cooling lines also

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Armaflex is best. Not cheap though, and you will want to use insulation on the cooling lines also
Thanks.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:59 pm

I don't think you will get much thermal transfer using silicone hose tbo.