Super Fast Fermentation (slight panic)

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
kendizle
Tippler

Super Fast Fermentation (slight panic)

Post by kendizle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 pm

I started to brew a Mocha Porter from a kit. mixed this on Thursday Feb 15th, added a beer enhancer and used a different yeast to what was supplied as the nice guy in the brew shop recommended both (kit was past use by date) and the yeast had a Jan expiration date.

Gave plenty of aeration at start and have left at a constant 22c as per instructions which say 20-24c, so in this case I've gone for the middle.

Was doing the usual active bubbling and the starting gravity was 1.052. Instructions say bottle when below 1.010. I was a littler concerned that the bubbling activity had slowed right down so I did a gravity check and it's already at 1.014. This is a supper fast fermentation, especially compared to my first brew that I've only just bottled last Monday (woodfordes Admirals Reserve). The last brew was a struggle to get down to 1.012 and took about 2 weeks to get from 1.040 to 1.012.

Is this normal?

Is it that I have used a superior yeast to that supplied in the box?

Is the brew enhancer that good that it speeds up the process as much as this?

Any tips greatly appreciated as I'm a keen novice eager to learn as much as I can.

The kit is Young's Brew American Mocha Porter.

Thanks all. Ken

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Super Fast Fermentation (slight panic)

Post by WalesAles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 pm

kendizle,
Calm Down, Calm Down!
Check the gravity on days 12, 13 and 14, if reading is the same, bottle it or keg it. You might get 1010.
Sterilise and rinse the Hydrometer before you put it in the beer on day 12 and just leave it in there for the other readings.
Don`t fret so much! It`s only Beer! :D
DWIDAHAHB!

WA

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention it's only been 4 days. just wasnt expecting this much activity after such a short time.

Everything sanitised before I go anywhere near the beer, ive drawn off and tested in a trial jar. Im just thinking that at this rate I may be racking off by the weekend. Or will the gravity now take a slow journey to 1.010?

PS. thanks for the super fast reply

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Let it Go, Let it Go, etc, etc.............. :D
Don`t be too hasty, 2wks in the FV will let a lot of the debris drop out.

WA

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am

Cheers for the advice. I plan to leave until it drops below 1.010 and will most likely leave for the full duration.

I confess, Im excited to taste this one but plan to leave to mature once I have barrelled some and bottled the rest.

K

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 am

Most go with what WA has suggested. Even if my brews ferment quickly they will always stay in the FV for 2 -3 weeks. Just because it has finished fermentation does not mean that the Yeast has finished cleaning up.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

Mine usually ferment out in about 4-5 days. I then let it sit for another 10 days so it has had 2 weeks in the fermenter. Then I bottle.
Last edited by chefgage on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 pm

chefgage wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am
Mine usually ferment out in about 4-5 days. I then let it sit dor another 10 days so it has had 2 weeks in the fermenter. Then I bottle.
Ditto

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Its my second brew and I appreciate all the tips I can get. Im guessing that this is also down to a better quality yeast that what came in my last kit, also I added a sachet of this enhancer that super charges the yeast and nutralises the chlorine in tap water.

I will leave alone for the full two weeks before racking to a secondary vessel for bottling. I'm still undecided on whether to keg or bottle this.

K

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 pm

kendizle,
Ho, Ho, Ho! You are doomed! :D
Go and buy 3 more FV`s and get the next Brew on while waiting for this one to finish.
FV1 has your Brew in it, FV2 will have your new Brew in it, FV3 will have 20Lts of Turbo Cider in it. =D>
Go on, you know you want to.
Read this for TC, the guide off oldbloke is interesting (if you like Cider).
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65433

WA

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 am

Wales - you forgot FV4 for the 2 months drag on the lager/kolsch!

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:13 pm

You think that's fast, I've had some all grain brews hit target in 3 days flat. :wink: Doesn't mean they're ready to bottle though. As others have said, let it be and it'll repay your patience. Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell yeast for example tends to be done fermenting by 3 to 4 days, and then goes into clean up mode. The stuff is a beast!

You do realise though that you are on the first steps of an addiction? It starts with buying more FVs, just so you can do back to back brews... Next thing you know you're buying stainless steel equipment and taking your first steps into either extract brewing or all grain... :shock: :lol: Then you realise you're making better beer than you could buy, and start giving it to friends and family....

Oh and yeah, I own about 7 FVs.... 1 fermenting, 1 resting, 1 for bottling............. Then there are the little 5l demijohns.....

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Depending on fermentation temperature, it’s quite normal for a beer to fully ferment out in 3-4 days. The majority of the action is in the first 48 hours, then you will notice it slowing down. Colder fermentation temperatures will take longer to drop gravity than warmer temperatures.

As others have said already, give it two weeks in the FV and you’ll be fine to bottle at that stage. If you really want to make sure it’s fully fermented, take gravity readings on three consecutive days. If it stays the same, you’re ok to bottle.

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I bottled this after 2 weeks and its now sat inside carbonating for another 2 weeks before being transferred to the garage. I currently have 30 pints of Admirals Reserve conditioning in there and that should be ready soon. I did a taste test yesterday and its carbonated well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I start my next brew now or in two weeks. My inclining says start now as it gives more time to mature. This will be my summer beer ready for around June barbecues. Pretty sure I will never have to buy bottled beer for the house again.
porter.jpg
Ken