Temperature vs Infection?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
deanie

Temperature vs Infection?

Post by deanie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello everyone,
Yesterday, I checked the gravity of my brew, and having decided that it was done: dropped the temperature in the fermentation fridge from 18 to 5c. Today, I had a sneaky peak and it looks as if it's starting with an infection: a very slight film, and the faintest threads just below the surface. The hydrometer sample was drawn from the tap, so nothing has been introduced. Also, the lid appeared to be a bit concave rather than convex.
Could the drop in temperature precipitate an infection?
Cheers,
Deanie.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Temperature vs Infection?

Post by Fil » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

the drop in temp and resulting shrinking of volume of co2 under the lid could have resulted in a suck back of air from within the fridge, folk using blow off tubes in bottles of sanitser often report the sucking of sanitser back into a brew when chilled down to aid clarity post primary.

As it sounds like its limited to the surface, draw ot off from below asap and you should be able to rescue the bulk.

to avoid similar in the future perhaps pay more attention to sanatising the fridge interior especially prior to crach chilling.. a few good pumps from a trigger spray bottle of starsan or simlar to fully saturate the fridge interior with mist should do the trick :) AND DONT OPEN THE FRIDGE AGAIN UNTIL THE TEMP HAS SETTLED AT ITS LOW POINT. Otherwise you will drop all the cold air out replacing it with the filthy muck your breathing in n out as you open it. ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

deanie

Re: Temperature vs Infection?

Post by deanie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 am

Cheers for that,
I will certainly do that. To be honest, I hadn't even thought of that. Doh!
Will be legging this morning. Or even kegging...
Deanie.