Fermentemp.Temperature controller viability.

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Top Cat
Piss Artist

Fermentemp.Temperature controller viability.

Post by Top Cat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi guys.
Has anyone had any experience with one of these, states it can hold temperature to +/- 1c
for a 23 ltr fermentation bin. It seems like a controllable heating base, I am just a little sceptical on how efficient it will be in an environment between 6 to 15c (garage). Obviously heat rises and if the fermentation bin with wort in is at the correct fermentation (18c)
temperature to start, it only has to keep things ticking over. The company selling them is einbrew.com. Could be a useful bit of kit if it works.
Thanks in anticipation.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Fermentemp.Temperature controller viability.

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:36 pm

looks like a totally over engineered (or designed to look so) heat pad..

While im sure it works,much cheaper alternatives exist. For a controller, depending on you much you enjoy fiddling with electronics you can build a web connected iot controller based on a $1 esp8266-01 board add a ds18b20 temp probe, resistor, and relay and yuo should have change from £2
alternatively there are out of the box solutions which are plug n play from inkbird for £25-30

brewbelts heat pads and even custom formed silicone heatpads are cheap as chips from ebay/amazon.

But if you have that sort of cash in the brewbudget set your sights at the pinnacle of solutions, a brew fridge. well thats my tughts for what they are worth..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Re: Fermentemp.Temperature controller viability.

Post by Top Cat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:09 pm

I see your point Fil. I am probably being lazy, I actually have an inkbird and a spare fridge that I intend to use during the warmer months to put my cornies in,(just started brewing again after a long sabbatical!), it could also be used with a small heat tube for fermentation purposes I suppose, but was thinking that I couldn’t use it for conditioning and fermentation at the same time if and when the circumstances arise. You’ve given me food for thought on other solutions, thanks for that.