Off flavours

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
parling

Off flavours

Post by parling » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi, 5th beer been brewed but a week in it’s got a harsh alcohol aftertaste a bit sweet as well.

It’s only been a week so time to condition still. I accidentally miss judged the the pitch temp and pitched too high. It’s an ipa with a lot of hops, is it likely after another 2 weeks in primary dry hopping and a cold crash it will sort it’s self out

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Off flavours

Post by keith1664 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 am

I'm not sure I've read your query correctly but I'd not judge any of my beers a week after brewing
Assuming it's a week since brew day sweet may be that it's not fermented out yet, what's the gravity?
Harsh alcohol... at a week the yeast haven't had a chance to clean up after themselves.

If it's tasting the same after a month then you might have cause to worry, at a week just give it time.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

parling

Post by parling » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:03 am

It’s currently at 1016 and stalled so I’ve upped temp from 19 to 21 tonsee if I can eek out a bit more.

I know a week is nothing just the others never had this flavour. I normally ferment for 2 weeks then dry hop 2 days then cold crash 2 days.

My plan is after 2 weeks to taste and if it’s still got that flavour give it another week before dry hopping and cold crashing. This will be my first kegged beer so would like it to taste good. The SG was 1063 so it’s a biggish beer.

Thanks for the help

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:10 am

What yeast did you use? It might be done and not stalled considering the highish gravity. What was your grain bill ? And mash profile ?

parling

Post by parling » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:33 am

I’ve used Crossmyloof California pale yeast.

6kg of marris otter, 250g crystal 70 and 250g of carapils,
I mashed for 60mins at 68 degrees,

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm not familiar with the yeast , but in my experience mashing at that high a temp will leave you a few points higher than if you would have mashed at 64c. I'd give it a good stir and bring the temp up to 22c and give it a week. I've just had a look at the yeasts , is it the california common lager yeast or the us pale yeast ?

parling

Post by parling » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Ah ok so you would recommend mashing at 64 next time,

Us pale was the yeast, I’ll go to 22 for rest for a week.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 pm

1.016 may well be pretty much FG from what you've provided. Watch out for creeping, late attenuation with the combination of that much cara/crystal and a fairly high mash. I think the plan to keep it warm for a while longer is a good one, and at least it's not heading for bottles, should it creep at all late on.

As for harsh alcohols, if it stayed hot for a day or two, then that could be a problem. Solventy tastes can be permanent. If it was just the first few hours, them maybe it's just a rawness that will yet fade.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

rowettbrew
Tippler

Post by rowettbrew » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Definitely give it time before deciding it's a dud. But it does sound like you pitched too warm and got hot alcohols as a result, in my experience this NEVER ages out and you end up with beer that's only good for cooking with!

drtablet
Sober

Post by drtablet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:38 am

make sure you pitch a ton of happy healthy yeast.
Its not really possible to over pitch yeast, but if you under pitch it can lead to all kinds of problems, like you describe.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Definitely sounds like higher alcohols, hot alcohol and sweetness are characteristic, think Glens Vodka (in the park with a bag of Doritos). Pitching warm is fine, beneficial even, but fermenting too warm or under stress will cause that flavour.
Did it come out ok in the end? Hot alcohol can mellow out as it matures a little, but strong fusels won't go.