Rehydration of kit yeast and for carbonation stage, sugar or spray malt

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Joystick
Tippler

Rehydration of kit yeast and for carbonation stage, sugar or spray malt

Post by Joystick » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Just trying to gather peoples views on a couple questions please:
Is it easy/good to rehydrate a kit yeast before pitching and if it is a better way to do things how best to rehydrate the yeast?
Secondly, which is considered better, to use a sugar or spray malt for priming for secondary fermentation corbonation (in bottles)?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Rehydration of kit yeast and for carbonation stage, sugar or spray malt

Post by Jocky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Yes, always rehydrate dry yeast, you'll kill 50% of the viable cells otherwise.

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of boiled and cooled water or wort at 20-30c.
Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 seconds, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

As for bottle priming - neither sugar nor spray malt is 'better'. I find regular white sugar easier to use and cheap. Put the sugar you need for the whole batch in a pan and boil with a little water for 10 minutes. You can then either dump the whole lot in your bottling bucket ('batch priming') or dose it into bottles individually (ideally with a syringe!).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Joystick
Tippler

Re: Rehydration of kit yeast and for carbonation stage, sugar or spray malt

Post by Joystick » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi Jocky,
Many thanks for a super quick reply and concise instructions. I didn’t expect that! I’m not too worried about the cost of using an alternative to sugar, more interested in effective priming without altering the taste detrimentally. I have previously used carbonation drops (Coopers) directly into bottles but I think I’ll prime the whole batch as you suggest the next time. I’m waiting for glass bottles to be re-stocked in my local brew shop and when I do go and buy them I’ll invest in another FV bucket at the same time to do the priming and bottling from. At the moment I only have the one bucket. I shall add your instructions to my “database” of brewing tips. Thank you again, Cheers!