English Ale Yeast Characteristics

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
neilrh
Sober

English Ale Yeast Characteristics

Post by neilrh » Thu May 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi,

Looking for a Wyeast or Whitelabs yeast for my next brew, so comments from experience using an English ale yeast would be much appreciated.

WY1968, WLP013 and WLP023 are the ones I've used. WLP023 I liked, but I hadn't realised it needed so much head space, unfortunately my

blow-off tube kept getting blocked (general disaster). The second batch I brewed in a large uncovered bucket with no problems. Just wished I'd

known this from the start, so comments on how volcanic (or not) the krausen is likely to be would be helpful.

WY1099 looks interesting, any users?

Thank you

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: English Ale Yeast Characteristics

Post by Eric » Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Should you wish to know how a truly English, or Scottish, top fermenting yeast might act, consider trying one from Brewlabs.

Not suggesting other yeasts are not up to the job, most are very good, but even WLP023 is relatively restrained compared with some.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu May 03, 2018 11:30 pm

WLP002 is a good shout. Ferments well, drops clear and makes great beer.

neilrh
Sober

Post by neilrh » Sat May 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks Eric, looked at Brewlabs slants a few years back, if my memory serves me right there was quite a lot of building up before you could pitch.

Looking at there site now it looks as if the yeasts already cultured, therefore no more preparation than WYeast or W.Labs and considerable less

mileage to reach me. Definitely give them a try.

Thanks Dennis, I believe 002 to be the W.L equivalent of 1968 which I've used. I'll give it a go in the future to get a comparison.

TBH if the temp keeps going up might give the French Saison yeast I scavenged from one of my brews last summer a go, works great at 25c +.