Double dropping brew.

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
mikew
Steady Drinker

Double dropping brew.

Post by mikew » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:46 pm

I was thinking about using the double drop method on my latest batch of ale, (the first one for a while). I want to try it to see if it makes my final ale any clearer, just not sure I can, I pitched my yeast into a fermenter with no tap which means I am now not sure how to go about transferring it, as I really only have the option of racking it out, but am not sure if I'll loose most of the yeast doing this.

Advice appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Double dropping brew.

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 am

If the beer's actively fermenting you won't have any problems bringing over enough yeast if you siphon it off (which is what I gather you mean). There'll be loads of active yeast in suspension.

I tried double dropping years ago but I couldn't detect any difference in the final beer. For me it's just more work and risk of infection for no tangible benefit.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:27 am

Jim's comments completely mirror my experience with double dropping. It's a lot of faff for no advantage and some risk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks guys,

Reading up on it I seem to be getting very much the same answer from many sources, so I think my problem is no more simply leave it as is and don't mess.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am

Are you suffering clarity issues or just trying to improve on a good beer?

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

gr_baker wrote:Are you suffering clarity issues or just trying to improve on a good beer?

As I say it's a while since I last brewed anything at all and it was with old plastic barrels, I have since upgraded my entire brewery to a full stainless steel setup. Last time I brewed I did suffer clarity issues. Hence was toying with the idea of double dropping, but might just leave it and see how this brew turns out and go from there.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am

Good idea. See how it goes. If you do have issues come back here and we'll all try to help

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Can someone explain double dropping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 pm

There is a good explanation here - https://www.colchesterbrewery.com/doubl ... ng-process

Planning to do this in a few brews time, primarily as I want to do the first part of the fermentation in a open fv with a larger surface area and less depth than normal (a rectangular storage bin). I'm also intending to use the yeast harvested from a bottle of Harvey's Imperial Stout, so want the cleaner yeast crop afterwards.

However I'm more interested in the Diacetyl Butterscotch potential and wonder if anyone has encountered this in double dropped beers.

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks sadfield that's a good link, interesting that you usually hear of techniques to reduce diacetyl !

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am

It may be that I'm insensitive to diacetyl but I've never noticed it in my beers, double dropped or not. I've drunk plenty of Brakspear's over the years too and never noticed it in their beers despite them using the technique.

Others may have a different experience.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:15 am

Double-dropping didn't do much for me either, but it probably depends on the process it is a part of.

If your wort isn't very well aerated when using liquid yeast, then a second chance to get more oxygen in could be more beneficial. That will be less so if using dried yeast, whose requirement for oxygen is less in any case.

If you don't filter (or at least whirlpool) the worst of the rubbish out of the wort before it reaches the fermenter, then its an alternative means of leaving that behind. Though at a homebrew scale it can be quite wasteful of wort (the soupy dregs being left behind in the top vessel can be a significant proportion).
Kev

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks. I'm inclined to think it's an issue of scale, not having much effect at homebrew scale due to short transfer times and short, less vigorous drop. I will follow through with my plan in the hope of getting a bit of complexity in flavour, but don't really expect too.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 am

Hi Steve
Sadfield wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 pm
I'm more interested in the Diacetyl Butterscotch potential
... there was a really interesting discussion on a thread on here a few years ago about methods of managing fermentations to retain some diacetyl impression (see there (link)) ... definitely worth a read and thinking about, if that's something you're wanting to achieve.

I have since had some success in leaving a taste of diacetyl, by using a variant of the Fuller's fermentation temperature profile described on there ... I pitched the yeast at 17C, ramped FV temps to 20C over 24 hrs, then dropped it back to 17C 2.5 days later (when the gravity had dropped below half OG) and left that to ferment out (12 days until stable gravity) ... I then primed and bottled it and at bottling there was HUGE amounts of acetaldehyde (the FV smelled like a bucket of Granny Smiths :? ) ... a period of warm and cold conditioning sorted out the apples (PHEW!) but did leave a hint of butterscotch :? ... and that' s been with S04, which isn't exactly a yeast "known" for butterscotch, so I imagine if you were to take a similar approach with WLP002/Wy1968 or Wy1469, or maybe even Harvey's then you may get even more ... but you'll see from that thread I linked to, it is possible to take this too far, too :?

Good luck with the brew, whatever you do :wink:
Cheers, PhilB

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Cheers Phil.

The Fullers thing is interesting, and I've got some Lallemand London ESB, which John Keeling endorses (although that doesn't necessarily mean it is the Fullers strain). I was toying with dual pitching two strains, as recommended by Adnams head brewer, in Secrets of the Master Brewer. So, may try Harvey's and London ESB with the Fullers fermentation profile and Double Dropping. I guess if it goes too far, the best fix would to brew a second batch cleanly and then blend.

Steve.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk