Water treatment...

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Kev.

Post by Kev. » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:48 pm

I take it this stuff is used simply as a ph stabilising buffer and shouldn't effect any of your other mineral additions?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:40 pm

Kev. wrote:I take it this stuff is used simply as a ph stabilising buffer and shouldn't effect any of your other mineral additions?
Hmm, I wouldn't bank on it. YOu would think that with it being a food additive they would have to specify the ingredients more specifically than just 'a blend of phosphates'. :?

I find it difficult to see how one product could make acid water more alkaline and alkaline water more acid, but then chemistry has never been my strong point. :wink:

Maybe the stuff just uses its strength to over-ride the weak phosporic acids produced in a normal mash??
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Kev.

Post by Kev. » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:42 pm

I've asked John at H&G with regard to this and will post any info I receive.

Kev.

Post by Kev. » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:02 pm

It seems the makers are a little unwilling to share the chemical breakdown of this product, so it seems more useful as a single shot addition to ensure the correct PH.

I've got some to try and will probably use it for beers that require little in the way of mineral additions and will stick to my normal treatment for all others.

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:50 pm

Kev. wrote:It seems the makers are a little unwilling to share the chemical breakdown of this product
Anyone got a gas chromatograph in their garage :wink: :lol:

Kev.

Post by Kev. » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:35 am

eskimobob wrote:Anyone got a gas chromatograph in their garage :wink: :lol:
As luck would have it.....http://shurl.org/ZIOcJ :lol:

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:41 am

LOL!

Vossy.......

:wink:
Dan!