How should I treat my water.

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
guest5234

How should I treat my water.

Post by guest5234 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:15 pm

Any suggestions on what I should do to my brewing water for a 5gall brew, I live in Solihul near Birmingham and under Severn Trent, wouls half a camden tablet help? and any other tips.

bod

Post by bod » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:38 pm

i dunno, but thats great avatar chief! :D

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:47 pm

It would really depend on what you are trying to brew/emulate. I live in Redditch also Severn Trent. I tend to brew bitters and Pale ales and wheat beers for the summer.
As a basic water treatment I boil my water with 1tsp Gypsum for 15 minutes to remove the temporary hardness which shows as scale on your heating element and to drive off chlorine. I then allow this to cool and any precipitate to form. This water is then transfered to another container where I add 1/4 tsp epsom salts and 1/2 campden tablet. I must admit I have never checked my mash pH and perform this treatment out of habit as that was how I was taught. But I have never brewed a bad beer that was due to the water used :)

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:23 am

btw, are you planning on resizing your avatar to a more forum friendly size any time soon?
JHBF has lost it's appeal all of a sudden.....where's the avatar guest5234 :cry:

DaaB, I think some mod re-sizing is called for :D

Ignore at your peril :shock: