DLS

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

DLS

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:06 pm

Do we have any DLS users :=P ?

I'm in the middle of a brew (details to follow :wink: )using DLS and CRS for the first time.

But being a simpleton I'm a bit confused about how much DLS I should be using.

I'm working on adding 0.6 grams per litre, used about 16 litres in the mash so added 10 grams (0.6 x 16).

The final brew length will be 25 litres (hopefully), so I added DLS for nine litres to the boil i.e. 25 - 16 = 9 litres = 0.6 x 9 = 5 grams.

Does this make sense?

As gumby said MY HEAD HURTS :lol:

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:16 pm

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:29 pm

DaaB wrote:I probably would have filled a fermenter and treated the whole lot in one go but what you've done makes sense to me but then again i'm also a simpleton :lol:
Thanks guys.

Mashman: thanks for the link - I was using that link; just goes to shows how simple I am :oops:

Daab - I guess the question is whether all of the DLS added to the mash ends up in the boil. I was also wondering whether I should be using DLS for all the sparge liquor used.. but then I can't see why this would be the case.

Moral: don't have a beer when making a beer :wink:

In any case, it's not a big deal - better to add too little than too much I guess

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Murphy's instructions:-you use DLS according to the brew length, so if you're looking for 25L in the fermenter, then you base your calculation on that. Do not calculate on total liquor used......hmm that conflicts with Brupak's instructions. The products are the same. Brupak's CRS/DLS are Murphy's water treatments AMS/DWB, renamed.

I've just ordered both from H&G together with their new ph 5.2 buffered mash locking compound, to try out. Apparently it will lock your mash to ph 5.2 no matter what your water or grist is, or what you do to it. I don't know wether you can use all three products together, or what. Phoning John at H&G for advice tomorrow.

From what I can see from my water analysis, to brew the porter I'm planning..my Ca level is in the right ballpark, but my carbonate is a bit high, so a bit of CRS to bring it in line with porter requirement, and no DLS required, just up the chloride with a bit of salt (NaCl). Boom Shanka!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:55 pm

I've got some and used it on a few brews but haven't recently. I'll give it another bash on the next few :)
Dan!

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:57 am

SteveD wrote:Murphy's instructions:-you use DLS according to the brew length, so if you're looking for 25L in the fermenter
Thanks Steve 8) That's what I did (I think :oops: )

Am interested to see how this one turns out given the water treatment. We'll see.

moorsd

Post by moorsd » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:55 pm

I've used CRS and DLS together in the past. However I always measure the amount for the specific volumes of liquor, ie one lot for the total mash liquor volume, and then calculate how much is needed for the sparge water (DLS) and add it at the start of the boil?

So I basically use the Brupaks instructions, I would have thought adding the total amount to the mash liquor would throw the PH out or be undesirable?

EDIT...Misunderstood what you meant :oops: I add enough for the total brew length at the start of the boil ie, 25 ltrs minus volume used for mash liquor!

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 pm

moorsd wrote: EDIT...Misunderstood what you meant :oops: I add enough for the total brew length at the start of the boil ie, 25 ltrs minus volume used for mash liquor!
Thanks Moorsd, a relief - it looks like I did the right thing. Not sure why i found the instructions so cryptic :wacko:

Have you noticed any difference in your finished beer from having used CRS and DLS?

moorsd

Post by moorsd » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:00 pm

It makes a massive difference, I started using CRS when kit brewing as the final result aways had a similar offish taste, after using CRS it completely dissapeared! (I didn't have a boiler at that time!) :D

When I moved on to AG brewing I used the two together (CRS & DLS) and found it easier to use over other brewing salts (After I had overcome the maths part of it! :shock: ) and again it made a huge difference, I aways seemed to hit the target PH using it as well!

Now I use Promash water profiler and "Burtonise" my water when brewing bitters which makes an even bigger difference....just need to know your water chemistry though, to know how much to add!! :D

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:04 pm

moorsd wrote:It makes a massive difference, I started using CRS when kit brewing as the final result aways had a similar offish taste, after using CRS it completely dissapeared! (I didn't have a boiler at that time!) :D

When I moved on to AG brewing I used the two together (CRS & DLS) and found it easier to use over other brewing salts (After I had overcome the maths part of it! :shock: ) and again it made a huge difference, I aways seemed to hit the target PH using it as well!

Now I use Promash water profiler and "Burtonise" my water when brewing bitters which makes an even bigger difference....just need to know your water chemistry though, to know how much to add!! :D
Wow, sounds great 8) .

One thing has just ocurred to me which I'm sure I could find out myself :oops: , but do I need to store the CRS in the fridge, or is at room temperature fine?

moorsd

Post by moorsd » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:58 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Wow, sounds great 8) .

do I need to store the CRS in the fridge, or is at room temperature fine?

Obviously the amount of effect it has on the final beer depends on what your water is like in the first place...mine has lots of carbonates, which means the CRS does the trick!

CRS is basically just an acid solution, so I think room temp will be fine, I've never paid much attention to storing it! :D