Campden?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
BarryNL

Campden?

Post by BarryNL » Thu May 10, 2007 12:45 pm

Ok, so Campden tablets can be used to treat water for brewing and it can also be used to kill off yeast.

I'm assuming this means that the Campden is somehow deactivated at some point between treating the water and pitching the yeast.

How is this accomplished, is it just a matter of time or do you need to do something else to the water?

Is there any difference (usage wise) between Campden tables and potassium bisulphate powder?

louthepoo

Post by louthepoo » Thu May 10, 2007 4:01 pm

Christ, i've got severe asthma and i use it!! :shock:

haven't noticed any problems though.

Bobwagon

Post by Bobwagon » Thu May 10, 2007 5:10 pm

DaaB wrote:Apparently it can trigger an attack, mind you if you inhale in straight it's enough to cause someone to get asthma :wink:
Yeah i wont be doing that again, like a small child i had to open the tub and sniff when i first got some :oops: just managed to keep my dignity and dry eyes :o

BarryNL

Post by BarryNL » Thu May 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Bobwagon wrote:
DaaB wrote:Apparently it can trigger an attack, mind you if you inhale in straight it's enough to cause someone to get asthma :wink:
Yeah i wont be doing that again, like a small child i had to open the tub and sniff when i first got some :oops: just managed to keep my dignity and dry eyes :o
Heh, the best one I did was trying to peer in the hole where the airlock goes to see what my beer was up to - a shot of pure CO2 straight to the eyeball soon convinces you not to do that again.

UserDeleted

Post by UserDeleted » Thu May 10, 2007 8:24 pm

BarryNL wrote:Heh, the best one I did was trying to peer in the hole where the airlock goes to see what my beer was up to - a shot of pure CO2 straight to the eyeball soon convinces you not to do that again.
My classic :oops: was to Purge a corny with CO2, Attach the syphon tube to the beer out disconnect (No I released the pressure BTDTGTTS :) ) then attached a grey disconnect with a short length of tube to the gas out. Breathed out deeply, wrapped mouth round open end of tube and sucked hard.

Luckily I managed to fall to my knees before passing out, and wasn't out long enough for the syphon to overfill the corny

Bobwagon

Post by Bobwagon » Fri May 11, 2007 4:27 pm

:lol: :lol: