using hot tap water

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
harryclelland

using hot tap water

Post by harryclelland » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Can anyone see a problem in using hot tap water for the mash/sparge since it is all going to be boiled anyway. This would save a bit of time compared to bringing 30 litres cold water up to temperature. Thanks for any thoughts. Harry Clelland

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:04 pm

This'll be the hot water from the tank in the loft with the dead pigeon in it would it? :lol:

harryclelland

Post by harryclelland » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:12 pm

Definitely no pigeons, water from sealed immersion tank. But hey, did you not know there is a recipe around for 'cock ale' using roasted chicken!! Never tried it myself but pigeons might work too!

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 pm

I think that the brewery at the Prince of Wales at Foxfield uses water from his hot water tank for mashing and sparging and Stewart's a fine brewer.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

Chappie519

Post by Chappie519 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:27 am

I have used hot tap water for sparging ( also added a few kettles of boiling water) and never had any effect on brew! . . . At least i dont think it did :lol:

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:30 pm

I was always told don't eat the yellow snow and don't drink the hot water.

delboy

Post by delboy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:44 pm

I use the hot water but we don't have a skanky water tank or boiler, its actually tap water that gets heated using the boiler, one of the advantages of having gas heating :D

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:24 am

I personally wouldn't want to use hot water from the tap unless it has been heated by a combi, as DaaB suggests.